Co-creation in the Localization of Interactive Systems Designed for Communicating Science to the Public: An Experience Report
This study describes the design iteration in the localization process of Nasa’s Eyes on the Earth which was aligned with co-creation. The paper provides insights from an experience report on project-based learning (PBL) conducted in the context of a collegiate course for Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). We will highlight how co-creation and collaborative work on an existing real-world project was aligned with increased levels of students’ engagement and markedly improved interaction design in prototypes. The implications of the co-creation and design shift for the education of designers and researchers in HCI will be discussed.
KeywordsCo-creation Human-computer interaction Project-based learning
Authors wish to thank the students and lecturers of the Human-Computer Interaction course at IMSIU. This study was supported by a grant awarded to the Center of Excellence for Earth and Space Science at the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST).
- 1.Bertini, P.: Co-Creation: Designing With the User, For the User (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.El Kamoun, N., Bousmah, M., Aqqal, A.: Virtual environment online for the project-based learning session. Cyber J. Multidiscip. J. Sci. Technol. J. Sel. Areas Softw. Eng. (JSSE) (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Alsuhaibani, L., Alabdulkarim, A., Hussey, K., Al-Wabil, A.: UX design in the localization and internationalization of NASA’s eyes on the earth. In: Karwowski, W., Ahram, T. (eds.) IHSI 2018. AISC, vol. 722, pp. 402–407. Springer, Cham (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-73888-8_62CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Dollinger, M.: Technology for the scalability of co-creation with students. In: ASCILITE 2018: Open Oceans: Learning without Borders, pp. 346–349 (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.Data Visualization Project. http://ce2s2.kacst.edu.sa/projects/data-visualization.html. Accessed 29 Mar 2019