The Road to Sustainable Transportation in Supply Chains: A Stage-Level Approach
Which mode of transportation has the least harmful effects on the environment, society and economy and is the most efficient in terms of fuel use?
How can a stage-level approach aid in the process of implementing a sustainable transportation in the supply chain?
What policies should a company implement to promote sustainable transportation internally and throughout its supply chain network?
KeywordsSustainable transportation Supply chain Freight rail Intermodal Stage-level approach GHG emissions Environment Economy Society
- A.A.R. (2018, June). Freight railroads help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Retrieved from https://www.aar.org/data/freight-railroads-help-reduce-greenhouse-gas-emissions/
- Business Wire. (2018, October 18). Ryder receives 2018 green fleet award for driving new technologies for environmental sustainability. Retrieved from https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181018005936/en/
- Cosgrove, E. (2018, October 4). Want a more sustainable supply chain? L’Oreal says avoid air freight. Supply Chain Drive. Retrieved from https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/Why-L-Oreal-avoids-air-freight-emissions/538652/
- Evangelista, P., Sweeney, E., Ferruzzi, G., & Carrasco J.C. (2012). Green supply chains initiatives in transport and logistics service industry: An exploratory case study analysis. National Institute for Transport and Logistics. Retrieved from https://arrow.dit.ie/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1064&context=nitlcon
- Golicic, S., Boerstler, C., & Ellram, L. (2010). Greening transportation in the supply chain. MIT Sloan Review. Retrieved from https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/greening-transportation-in-the-supply-chain/
- Markham, D. (2015). Subaru celebrates 10 years of zero landfill manufacturing. Retrieved from https://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/subaru-celebrates-10-years-zero-landfill-manufacturing.html
- Masoud S., & Mason, S. (2017). Assessing the cost impact of multiple transportation modes to enhance sustainability in an integrated, two-stage, automotive supply chain. Informatics. Retrieved from https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9709/4/4/34
- Ryder. (2015). Willow run foods and Ryder: Case study. Pdf. Retrieved from https://ryder.com/-/media/ryder/ryder-global/…/case-study_willow-run-foods.pdf
- U.S. E.P.A. (2018, April 12). Chapter 2: Trends in greenhouse gas emissions. Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/inventory-us-greenhouse-gas-emissions-and-sinks-1990-2016