Acting on the Pain of Others
- 7 Downloads
The final chapter focuses on creative partnerships between Palestinian and international theatre-makers. Analysing two different productions, the chapter reflects on the opportunities and shortcomings associated with such collaborative endeavours. The first play, Our Sign is the Stone, stages the resistance of Nabi Saleh’s residents against settler and military violence. The second play, This Flesh is Mine, is a radical adaptation of Homer’s Iliad. Engaging with the processes underlying these collaborations, the chapter introduces a critique of international collaborations by focusing on how the challenges to such partnerships are overcome.
- B’Tselem The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories. 2011. Show of Force: Israeli Military Conduct in Weekly Demonstrations in a-Nabi Saleh. Accessed March 28, 2015. http://www.btselem.org/download/201109_show_of_force_eng.pdf.
- Brecht, Bertolt. 1997. Collected Plays. Vol. 3. Edited by John Willett. London: Methuen.Google Scholar
- Ehrenreich, Ben. 2013. Is This Where the Third Intifada Will Start? The New York Times, March 15. Accessed February 23, 2015. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/magazine/is-this-where-the-third-intifada-will-start.html.
- Etchells, Tim. 1999. Certain Fragments. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Fanon, Frantz.  .  2008. Black Skin, White Masks. Translated by Charles Lam Markmann. London: Pluto.Google Scholar
- Landy, David. 2014. “We Don’t Get Involved in the Internal Affairs of Palestinians”: Elisions and Tensions in North-South Solidarity Practices. Interface: A Journal for and about Social Movements 6 (2): 130–142.Google Scholar
- Tabar, Natalie, and Lauren Bari. 2011. Repression of Non-Violent Protest in the Occupied Palestinian Territory: Case Study on the Village of Al-Nabi Saleh. Ramallah, Palestine: Al-Haq Organisation. Accessed March 28, 2015. http://www.alhaq.org/publications/publications-index/item/repression-of-non-violent-protest-in-the-occupied-palestinian-territory-case-study-on-the-village-of-al-nabi-saleh.
- Tomlin, Liz. 2013. Acts and Apparitions: Discourses on the Real in Performance Practice and Theory, 1990–2010. Manchester: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Woolland, Brian. 2014a. This Flesh is Mine. London: Oberon Books Ltd.Google Scholar
- Woolland, Brian. 2014c. Part 2: From Workshop to Performance. This Flesh is Mine. Accessed April 21, 2016. http://thisfleshismine.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/part-2-from-workshop-to-performance.html.
- Woolland, Brian. 2014d. Part 3: The Dramatic Process of Rehearsals. This Flesh is Mine. Accessed April 21, 2016. http://thisfleshismine.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/part-3-dramatic-process-of-rehearsals.html.