Content Analysis in Mixed Methods Research
This chapter aims to present the philosophical background of mixed methods approaches, demonstrate how they are used in the context of nursing science, and provide examples of how content analysis can be applied in this research approach. Mixed methods approaches are relevant to nursing science as they allow researchers to gain insight into little-explored research topics by using qualitative methods to focus on human experiences and quantitative methods to translate these experiences into clearly defined concepts. The value of qualitative methods in mixed methods approaches is that they can reveal information that would have been impossible to uncover through quantitative methodologies alone. The chapter concludes with a critical evaluation of the benefits and challenges of mixed methods approaches.
KeywordsContent analysis Mixed methods Qualitative research Quantitative research Research method
- 1.McEwen M, Wills EM. Theoretical basis for nursing. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2002.Google Scholar
- 2.Meleis AI. Theoretical nursing: development and progress. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2005.Google Scholar
- 11.Regnault A, Willgoss T, Barbic S, International Society for Quality of Life Research (ISOQOL) Mixed Methods Special Interest Group (SIG). Towards the use of mixed methods inquiry as best practice in health outcomes research. J Patient Rep Outcomes. 2017;2:19. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41687-018-0043-8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Wiens V. Well-being of the adolescent girls in Northern Finland—a hypothetical model. Acta Univ. Oul. D 1498. University of Oulu; 2018. http://urn.fi/urn:isbn:9789.
- 13.DeVellis R. Scale development. Theory and applications. 3rd ed. Newbury Park: Sage; 2012.Google Scholar
- 17.Carmen DT, Roger SZ, Fuller WB, Guoyao W, Raymond JC. Functional multiple indicators, multiple causes measurement error models. Biometrics. 2017;74:127–34.Google Scholar
- 18.Isohätälä J, Louis JN, Mikkonen K, Pyhältö K. Towards a doctoral degree and future career: perceptions of doctoral students at the University of Oulu. Acta Univ. Oul. F 12, Scripta Academica; University of Oulu; 2017. http://jultika.oulu.fi/Record/isbn978-952-62-1675-1.