Technical Considerations for the Use of Nitrous Oxide in Pediatric Dentistry
Driving a car without having an adequate knowledge of basic functioning, can sometimes result in driver facing some trouble. Similarly, it is imperative to understand the functioning of nitrous oxide delivery system to avoid any hurdles. This chapter will introduce the readers to the different types of nitrous oxide delivery systems one can install, depending upon their usage and the size of the office. Function of each of the components, of the commonly used in-office nitrous oxide delivery systems, shall be discussed. The readers will also learn about the multiple safety mechanisms incorporated into the nitrous oxide delivery system to prevent any accidents. Besides this, scavenging of nitrous oxide from dental office shall be discussed in detail, which is essential to keep the nitrous oxide concentration in ambient air of a dental operatory within the recommended levels.
KeywordsNitrous oxide delivery system Portable/centralized nitrous oxide equipment Fail safe mechanism Scavenging circuit Scavenging masks
- 1.Porter O-Two. https://www.porterinstrument.com/product/dental/Porter-O-Two. Accessed 11 Mar 2019.
- 2.Porter-Emergency-Oxygen-Brochure-FM-956. http://www.porterinstrument.com/dentalcontent/files/datasheets/Porter-Emergency-Oxygen-Brochure-FM-956.pdf.
- 3.Porter In-Line Vacuum Control. https://www.porterinstrument.com/product/dental/Porter-In-Line-Vacuum-Control. Accessed 11 Mar 2019.
- 4.Porter Automatic Vacuum Switch. https://www.porterinstrument.com/product/dental/Porter-Automatic-Vacuum-Switch. Accessed 11 Mar 2019.
- 5.Porter MXR-1 Cabinet-Mounted Flowmeter. https://www.porterinstrument.com/product/dental/Porter-MXR-1-Cabinet-Mounted-Flowmeter. Accessed 11 Mar 2019.
- 6.Porter Vanguard Manifold. https://www.porterinstrument.com/product/dental/Porter-Vanguard-Manifold. Accessed 11 Mar 2019.
- 7.Equipment Brochure. https://accutron-inc.com/files/Product/plmanuals/Equipment%20Brochure.pdf. Accessed 11 Mar 2019.
- 8.Porter-Full-Products-and-Accessories-Catalog-FM-142. http://www.porterinstrument.com/dentalcontent/files/datasheets/Porter-Full-Products-and-Accessories-Catalog-FM-1423.pdf. Accessed 11 Mar 2019.
- 9.AccutronInc:: RFS™ Chairmount Kits [Internet]. [cited 11 Mar 2019]. http://www.accutron-inc.com/product/rfstm-chairmount-kits1/.
- 10.Nitrous Oxide. https://www.ada.org/en/member-center/oral-health-topics/nitrous-oxide. Last Accessed 15 May 2019.
- 14.Certosino F, Walton M, Hartzell D, Farris J. Clinical evaluation of the efficacy of three nitrous oxide scavanging units during dental treatment. Gen Dent. 2002;50(5):430–5.Google Scholar
- 34.Health Services Advisory Committee. Anaesthetic agents: controlling exposure under COSHH 1995; HMSO 071 761043 8.Google Scholar
- 36.Almquist TC, Young JM. Clinical evaluation of nitrous oxide/oxygen conscious sedation delivery systems. J Dent Res. 1983;62:173.Google Scholar
- 37.McGlothlin JD, Jensen PA, Todd WF, Fischbach TJ. Control of anesthetic gases in dental operatories. Cincinnati: National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Division of Physical Sciences and Engineering, Engineering Control Technologies Branch; 1988.Google Scholar