The Tester Skills Program
In 2018, Gerrard Consulting was approached by the IT@Cork Skillnet (https://www.skillnetireland.ie; https://www.itcork.ie) and Softest (https://softtest.ie) organizations and asked to support an initiative that aimed to improve the skills of testers in the south of Ireland software community.
Around 20 testing and QA managers had decided to look at their challenges and plan a way forward to develop and improve the testing-related training available to local testers. The first meeting took place on 29 November 2018. The presentation that introduced the initiative was titled, ‘Developing Testing Skills to Address Product Quality Challenges’.
What started as an attempt to create a 3-day class for beginner testers became a much more substantial learning and development (L&D) program. This chapter describes the reasons why the program is necessary, the current status and how it is likely to evolve in the future.
KeywordsSoftware testing Software quality Software testing skills ISTQB Software tester
- 1.Skillnet Ireland. https://www.skillnetireland.ie. Accessed 19 July 2019
- 2.it@cork. https://www.itcork.ie. Accessed 19 July 2019
- 3.https://softtest.ie. Accessed 19 July 2019
- 4.https://testaxioms.com. Accessed 19 July 2019
- 5.Agile Testing Days Webinar. The new model for testing. https://youtu.be/1Ra1192OpqY. Accessed 19 July 2019
- 6.A New Model for Testing – white paper. https://gerrardconsulting.com/mainsite/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/NewModelTestingIntro.pdf. Accessed 19 July 2019
- 7.Gerrard, P.: The Tester’s Pocketbook. Testers’ Press, Maidenhead, UK (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.https://istqb.org. Accessed 19 July 2019
- 9.https://testerskills.com. Accessed 19 July 2019
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.