Addressing Individual Factors
- 23 Downloads
When burnout and suicide among physicians first became a mainstream topic, individual wellness factors initially received the most attention. While it is now clear that system-based approaches work best to prevent severe manifestations of work-related stress, anxiety and depression such as burnout, attention to individual wellness should be part of a healthy, balanced lifestyle for everyone, healthcare professionals included. Adequate sleep, maintaining fitness and a healthy weight and regular exercise are prescribed by primary care physicians everywhere, yet often observed in the breach by physicians themselves. Nobody disputes the benefits of these measures; the question is how do we decide which practices to prioritize, and then find the time to engage in these measures, in the midst of busy professional and personal lives?
KeywordsHealthcare role Self-care Emotional intelligence Mindfulness
- 15.Taylor C, Xyrichis A, Leamy MC, Reynolds E, Maben J. Can Schwartz Center Rounds support healthcare staff with emotional challenges at work, and how do they compare with other interventions aimed at providing similar support? A systematic review and scoping reviews. BMJ Open. 2018;8(10):e024254.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Physical activity for everyone [Internet]. Updated 2018 Nov 12; cited 2018 Dec 10. www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html#aerobic.
- 34.Vlachou EM, Damigos D, Lyrakos G, Chanopoulos K, Kosmidis G, Karavis M. The relationship between burnout syndrome and emotional intelligence in healthcare professionals. Health Sci J. 2016;10:52.Google Scholar
- 35.Goleman D. Emotional intelligence: why it can matter more than IQ. Bantam Books; 1996.Google Scholar
- 36.National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. 8 things to know about meditation for health [Internet]. Bethesda: National Institutes of Health. [Updated 2018 Jan 30; Cited 2019 Jan 10]. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/tips/meditation.
- Bradberry T, Greaves J. Emotional Intelligence 2.0. San Diego: Talentsmart; 2009.Google Scholar
- Chapman D, Dethmer J, Klemp K. The 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership: A new paradigm for sustainable success. Kaley Warner Klemp Conscious Leadership Group; 2015. ISBN: 970990976905.Google Scholar
- Eurich T. Insight: Why we’re not as Self-Aware as we think, and how seeing ourselves clearly helps us succeed at work and life. Crown Business; 2017. ISBN: 9780451496812.Google Scholar