All Inside Broström Arthroscopic Procedure
- 47 Downloads
Chronic ankle instability is a joint disorder that is managed by different surgical treatments. In the literature, some advocate primary repair of remaining ligament portions, and others espouse ligament reconstruction with tendon transfers, grafting, or synthetic materials. Several techniques have been proposed with the traditional open approach anatomic reconstruction with or without the use of anchors. Further ankle disorders caused by and associated with joint instability frequently present in any articular compartment and are preferably treated with arthroscopy. Therefore, this procedure assumes a main role in the care of secondary symptomatic pathologies. The modified Broström repair is the method of choice for primary open operative treatment for chronic ankle instability. Recently, it has been proposed that this procedure be performed by arthroscopic technique, using dedicated portals to complete all the modified steps.
Videos edited by Giovanni Corsini M.D.
All inside bröstrom arthroscopic procedure (MP4 102,856 kb)
- 3.Vega J, Malagelada F, Manzanares Céspedes MC, Dalmau-Pastor M. The lateral fibulotalocalcaneal ligament complex: an ankle stabilizing isometric structure. Knee Surg Sports Traum Arthr. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-018-5188-8.
- 4.Harrington HD. Degenerative arthritis of the ankle secondary to long-standing lateral ligament instability. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1979;(3):354–61.Google Scholar
- 5.Broström I. Sprained ankles. V. Treatment and prognosis in recent ligament ruptures. Acta Orthop Scand. 1966;5:537–50.Google Scholar
- 6.Broström I. Sprained ankles. VI. Surgical treatment of “chronic” ligament ruptures. Acta Orthop Scand. 1966;5:551–65.Google Scholar
- 8.Christmas OD, Snook GA. Reconstruction of lateral ligament tears of the ankle: an experimental study and clinical evaluation of seven patients treated by a new modification of the Elmslie procedure. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1969;5:904–12.Google Scholar
- 9.Evans DL. Recurrent instability of the ankle: a method of surgical treatment. Proc R Soc Med. 1953;5:343–4.Google Scholar
- 10.Li X, Lin TJ, Busconi BD. Treatment of chronic lateral instability: a modified Broström technique using three suture anchors. J Orthop Surg Res. 2009;4(41):749–99.Google Scholar
- 16.Watson-Jones R. Recurrent forward dislocation of the ankle joint. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1952;34:519–24.Google Scholar
- 17.Guelfi M, Zamperetti M, Pantalone A, Usuelli FG, Salini V, Oliva XM. Open and arthroscopic lateral ligament repair for treatment of chronic ankle instability: a systematic review. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2018;24(1):11–18.Google Scholar