Intellectual Property Rights in Industrial Bioprocess Engineering
Industrial bioprocess engineering is an aggregation of chemistry, biology, mathematics and industrial design that particularly deals with various biotechnological processes employed in large-scale production in bio-related industries. It applies the principles of physics, chemistry and other allied disciplines of engineering to design and mimics the entities and processes close to nature. Since they deal with nature-like entities and processes which are not obviously natural and have potential novelty and utility aspects, they inherently qualify for protection by way of intellectual property rights enabling the first time manufacturers an opportunity to enjoy the fruits of hard work, time and monetary investments for a stipulated period of time and to further exclude others to exploit the results and products without their permission. These rights are territorial in nature, therefore, a potential invention has to be reviewed keenly towards protection on intellectual property terms in accordance with the domestic and international regulations for widespread societal acceptance and exclusivities without compromising on the quality. The international agencies such as the World Intellectual Property Organization strive hard in harmonizing the intellectual property related rules that are acceptable by all for fair trade and negotiations at global levels, supported by the national framework of each nation.
- Aldemita, R. R. (2018, August). Beyond Promises: Facts about Biotech/GM Crops in 2017 ISAAA. 2017. Global Status of Biotech/GM Crops in 2017. ISAAA Brief No. 53.Google Scholar
- Cartwright-Smith, L. (2014) Patenting genes: What does association for molecular pathology v. myriad genetics mean for genetic testing and research? Public Health Reports, 129, 289–292.Google Scholar
- Ellinger, M. S. Senior Principal, Twin Cities. Retrieved February 01, 2019 from https://www.fr.com/news/myriad-decision.
- Barraclough, E. (2013, August). What Myriad means for biotech. WIPO Magazine. In The Courts, 4/2013, 21–23.Google Scholar
- Guadamuz, A. (2017, October). Artificial intelligence and copyright. WIPO Magazine, 14–19.Google Scholar
- Idris, K., & Arai, H. (2006, June). Bioethics and patent law: The case of the oncomouse. WIPO Magazine, 4/2013, 16–17.Google Scholar
- Malkoc, V. (2018). Challenges and the future of 3D bioprinting. Journal of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, 2(1), 64–65.Google Scholar
- Murphy, S. V., & Atala, A. (2014). Nature Biotechnology, 32(8), 773–785.Google Scholar
- Palmer, C. (2018, November 30). Layer by Layer: 3D Bioprinting on the Rise. Retrieved February 02, 2019 from https://www.genengnews.com/magazine/december-1-2018-vol-38-no-21/layer-by-layer-3d-bioprinting-on-the-rise/.
- Retrieved December 14, 2018 from https://www.wipo.int/treaties/en.
- Retrieved December 14, 2018 from https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-federal-circuit/1237693.html.
- Retrieved December 14, 2018 from https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/447/303.html.
- Retrieved December 14, 2018 from https://gizmodo.com/please-dont-panic-just-because-facebook-trademarked-the-5697709.
- Retrieved December 14, 2018 from https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/cafc/14-1571/14-1571-2014-11-14.html.
- Retrieved December 29, 2018 from https://www.oyez.org/cases/1994/92-2038.
- Retrieved December 29, 2018 from https://www.recode.net/.
- Retrieved February 01, 2019 from https://www.wipo.int/about-wipo/en/dgo/dg_gurry_message.html.
- Retrieved February 02, 2019 from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/BM.GSR.ROYL.CD.
- Retrieved February 02, 2019 from https://www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/news/2019/news_0002.html.
- Retrieved February 01, 2019 from http://www.invntree.com/blogs/monsanto-vs-nuziveedu-patent-dispute-brief-analysis-of-judgement.
- Retrieved February 01, 2019 from https://thewire.in/law/bt-cotton-monsanto-nuziveedu-supreme-court.
- Retrieved February 01, 2019 from https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/3DPrintingofMedicalDevices/default.htm.
- Retrieved February 01, 2019 from https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.732690/gov.uscourts.cacd.732690.1.0_2.pdf.
- Retrieved February 02, 2019 from https://www.wipo.int/designs/en/.
- Retrieved February 02, 2019 from https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-and-samsung-face-off-again-in-san-jose-california-court-over-design-patents/.
- Retrieved February 01, 2019 from https://www.bananaip.com/ip-news-center/design-infringement-lawsuits-blackberry-v-typo-and-apple-v-samsung.
- Retrieved February 01, 2019 from https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/japanese-ai-writes-novel-passes-first-round-nationanl-literary-prize/.
- Retrieved January 30, 2018 from https://www.analyticsindiamag.com/robots-journalists-google-funding-new-programme-automate-writing-compiling-local-news/.
- Retrieved January 30, 2019 from https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/trips_e/gi_background_e.htm#general.
- Retrieved January 30, 2019 from https://www.upov.int/about/en/upov_system.html.
- Retrieved November 16, 2018 from https://www.wipo.int/copyright/en/.
- Retrieved October 12, 2017 from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/12/monkey-selfie-case-settled-british-photographer-agrees-share/.
- Rocero, R. (2015, July). Myths and facts about agricultural biotechnology. Biotech Booklet 4. ISAAA SEAsiaCenter Publication.Google Scholar
- What is Intellectual Property? WIPO Publication No. 450(E). ISBN 978-92-805-1555-0.Google Scholar
- Genetic Engineering and GM Crops, Pocket K No. 17. http://www.isaaa.org/kc.