Real-Time Multi-resource Allocation via a Structured Policy Table
Mobile Edge Cloud endures limited computational resources as compared to back-end cloud. Semi-Markov Decision Process (SMDP) based Multi-Resource Allocation (MRA) work  introduces optimal resource allocation for mobile requests in the resource constrained edge cloud environments. In this study, we scale existing SMDP MRA work for real-world scenarios. First, we structure the policy tables in a two dimensional matrix such that columns represent states of the system and rows for the actions. Second, we propose an index based search technique over structured policy tables. Simulation results demonstrate that our approach outperforms the legacy method and retrieves an optimal action from the policy tables in the order of microseconds, which meets the delay criteria of real-time applications in edge cloud based systems.
This work is partially supported by USA Grant number NSF Award 181884.
- 3.Borgia, E., Bruno, R., Conti, M., Mascitti, D., Passarella, A.: Mobile edge clouds for information-centric IoT services. In: Proceedings of IEEE Symposium Computers and Communications (ISCC), Messina, Italy, June 2016, pp. 422–428 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Jararweh, Y., et al.: The future of mobile cloud computing: integrating cloudlets and mobile edge computing. In: Proceedings of 23rd International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT), Thessaloniki, Greece, May 2016, pp. 1–5 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Yang, L., Liu, B., Cao, J., Sahni, Y., Wang, Z.: Joint computation partitioning and resource allocation for latency sensitive applications in mobile edge clouds. In: 2017 IEEE 10th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), Honolulu, CA, 2017, pp. 246–253 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, Y., Lee, M.J.: An adaptive resource allocation algorithm for partitioned services in mobile cloud computing. In: IEEE Symposium on Service-Oriented System Engineering, San Francisco Bay, CA, pp. 209–215 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Piri, E., et al.: 5GTN: a test network for 5G application development and testing. In: 2016 European Conference on Networks and Communications (EuCNC), Athens, 2016, pp. 313–318 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.NSF, PAWR: COSMOS: Cloud Enhanced Open Software Defined Mobile Wireless Testbed for City-Scale Deployment. https://cosmos-lab.org
- 10.Osseiran, A., Monserrat, J.F.: 5G Mobile and Wireless Communications Technology, pp. 240–270. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Shah, S., Shaikh, A.: Hash based optimization for faster access to inverted index. In: 2016 International Conference on Inventive Computation Technologies (ICICT), Coimbatore, 2016, pp. 1–5 (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Bulysheva, L., Bulyshev, A., Kataev, M.: Visual database design: indexing methods. In: 2018 Sixth International Conference on Enterprise Systems (ES), Limassol, 2018, pp. 25–29 (2018)Google Scholar
- 14.Database Normalization. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/283878/description-of-the-database-normalization-basics