Method for Extracting Positions of Players from Video of Lacrosse Game
It has always been important to analyze games in the sports field. Especially, the motion tracking of a player is useful for analysis of strategy; therefore, it must be recorded. The outline of the movement path of a player has been recorded manually based on video so far. Recently, the movement path of a player can be recorded automatically from video; however, since a dedicated system using many high-performance cameras under an environment where various conditions are satisfied is necessary, it can only be used in some professional sports such as the soccer. On the other hand, there is a large demand for low-cost and simple systems so that they can be used easily in amateur sports. In this paper, we propose a method for extracting spatial position of players from video of lacrosse game. The method can detect players, even if video includes shakes. We implement the proposed method and evaluate the performance based on actual video of lacrosse game.
This work was partially supported by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science through Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B) (17H01742) and JST CREST JPMJCR1402.
- 1.Baysal, S., Duygulu, P.: A soccer player tracking system using model field particles. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst. Video Technol. 26(7), 1350–1362 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Pers, J., Vuckovic, G., Kovacic, S., Dezman, B.: A low-cost real-time tracker of live sport events. In: Proceedings of 2nd International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis, pp. 362–365 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Utsumi, O., Miura, K., Ide, I., Sakai, S., Tanaka, H.: An object detection method for describing soccer games from video. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Multimedia and Expo ICME02, vol. 1, pp. 45–48 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhu, G., Xu, C., Huang, Q., Gao, W.: Automatic multi-player detection and tracking in broadcast sports video using support vector machine and particle filter. In: Proceedings of International Conference Multimedia & Expo, pp. 1629–1632 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Mauthner, T., Koch, C., Tilp, M., Bischof, H.: Visual tracking of athletes in beach volleyball using a single camera. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Sport 6, 21–34 (2007)Google Scholar