The Stupid in the Contemporary Hollywood Vernacular: Spectacularly Stupid Transformers
The much-maligned Transformers franchise is exemplary of the contemporary Hollywood vernacular. While colloquially stupid, this franchise also represents an industrial trend that moves the cinematic closer toward the model of the theme-park ride. Critics predictably lambast the films for their incoherence, however, the spectacular is not a design flaw, but the point of it. Furthermore, screenwriters for these films, understand that they are writing for a global market, and thus a premium is placed on action. As a consequence, the experience of writing a Transformers movie might be more akin to writing a Cirque du Soleil show than a Hollywood movie. The style of these films, especially in their choreographed action and editing, intends to amplify the visceral roller-coaster like thrill.
- Aumont, Jacques. “The Veiled Image: The Luminous Formless.” In Indefinite Visions: Cinema and the Attractions of Uncertainty, eds. Martine Beugnet, Allan Cameron, and Arild Fetveit, 17–37. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2017.Google Scholar
- Balsom, Erika. “One Hundred Years of Low Definition.” In Indefinite Visions: Cinema and the Attractions of Uncertainty, eds. Martine Beugnet, Allan Cameron, and Arild Fetveit, 74–89. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2017.Google Scholar
- Bernardi, Daniel and Hoxter, Julian. Off the Page: Screenwriting in the Era of Media Convergence. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2017.Google Scholar
- Bibbiani, William. “Transformers: Age of Extinction: Ehren Kruger Interview.” Mandatory (blog). June 27, 2014. Accessed January 15, 2018. https://www.mandatory.com/fun/715045-transformers-age-of-extinction-ehren-kruger-interview#/slide/1.
- Casetti, Francesco. The Lumière Galaxy: Seven Key Words for the Cinema to Come. New York: Columbia University Press, 2015.Google Scholar
- Crampton, Vincent and The Universal Soldier. “Universal Orlando Simulator Ride Review: Transformers: The Ride 3-D.” orlandosentinel.com, posted July 10, 2017. Accessed June 23, 2019. https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/universal-orlando/os-universal-orlando-simulator-ride-review-transformers-the-ride-3d-20170710-story.html.
- Dargis, Manohla. “Car Wars With Shape-Shifters ‘R’ Us.” The New York Times, July 2, 2007. Accessed January 13, 2018. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/02/movies/02tran.html.
- Denby, David. Do the Movies Have a Future? New York: Simon & Schuster, 2012.Google Scholar
- Ebert, Roger. “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.” rogerebert.com (blog). June 23, 2009. Accessed April 4, 2018. https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-2009.
- Ebert, Roger. “Transformers.” rogerebert.com (blog). June 5, 2007. Accessed January 13, 2018. https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/transformers-2007.
- Ebiri, Bilge. “Here’s What the New Transformers Movie is Like.” The Village Voice, June 20, 2017. Accessed November 10, 2018. https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/06/20/heres-what-the-new-transformers-movie-is-like/.
- Erskine, Chris. “R.I.P. for the Spec Script, Long a Source of Some of Hollywood’s Most Beloved Films.” Los Angeles Times, January 19, 2018. Accessed April 20, 2019. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-st-spec-scripts-20171219-htmlstory.html.
- Fischer, Russ. “‘Transformers: Age of Extinction’ Writer Ehren Kruger: Logical Sense Doesn’t Have to Be the Be-All, End-All.” Film: Blogging the Reel World (blog). June 27, 2014. Accessed January 15, 2018. http://www.slashfilm.com/transformers-logical-sense/.
- Gardner, Chris. “Transformers Rolling Out in Live-Action Pic.” Hollywood Reporter, June 11, 2003. Accessed November 10, 2018.Google Scholar
- Hay, Lucy V. “How to Write a Screenplay Bomb: Transformers: The Last Knight.” Bang 2 Write (blog). June 26, 2017. Accessed February 19, 2018. http://www.bang2write.com/2017/06/how-to-write-a-screenplay-bomb-transformers-the-last-knight.html.
- Jahn-Sudmann, Andreas and Kelleter, Frank. “Die Dynamik Serieller Überbietung: Zeitgenössische Amerikanische Fernsehserien und das Konzept des Quality TV.” In Populäre Serialität: Narration – Evolution – Distinktion. Zum seriellen Erzählen seit dem 19. Jahrhundert ed. Frank Kelleter, 205–224. Bielefeld: Transcript Verlag, 2012.Google Scholar
- Jones, Oliver. “Transformers: The Last Knight is Sloppy, Stupid and Quite Possibly Evil.” Observer, June 21, 2017. Accessed January 10, 2018. https://observer.com/2017/06/transformers-the-last-knight-is-sloppy-stupid-and-quite-possibly-evil/.
- Koepnick, Lutz. Michael Bay. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2017.Google Scholar
- Koven, Mikel J. La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film. Oxford: Scarecrow Press, 2006.Google Scholar
- Laderman, David. Driving Visions: Exploring the Road Movie. Austin: The University of Texas Press, 2002.Google Scholar
- Marlow, John Robert. “Lonely Keyboard Interview, Ehren Kruger.” The Lonely Keyboard (blog). n.d. Accessed January 28, 2018. http://johnrobertmarlow.com/lonelykeyboard/sa__ehrenkruger.html.
- Patches, Matt. “Firefly, Snap Zooms, and Joss Whedon’s Influence on Man of Steel.” New York Magazine, June 19, 2013. Accessed March 26, 2019. https://www.vulture.com/2013/06/how-joss-whedon-influenced-man-of-steel.html.
- Perkins, Cory. “Watch: The Secret Sauce That Makes Pacific Rim’s Fight Scenes So Thrilling.” wired.com, posted July 19, 2013. Accessed June 23, 2019. https://www.wired.com/2013/07/visual-effects-as-design-solutions-in-pacific-rim/.
- Phalen, Patricia F. Writing Hollywood: The Work and Professional Culture of Television Writers. New York: Routledge, 2018.Google Scholar
- Scoggins, Jason. “2015 Year-End Spec Market Scorecard.” The Scoggins Report (blog). March 29, 2016. Accessed January 28, 2018. https://medium.com/scoggins-report/2015-year-end-spec-market-scorecard-bb572a2055fb.
- Shaviro, Steven. Post-Cinematic Affect. London: British Film Institute, 2011.Google Scholar
- Stork, Matthias. “CHAOS CINEMA: The Decline and Fall of Action Filmmaking.” IndieWire, August 22, 2011. Accessed November 10, 2018. http://www.indiewire.com/2011/08/video-essay-chaos-cinema-the-decline-and-fall-of-action-filmmaking-132832/.
- Tyler, Josh. “Transformers.” Cinemablend (blog). n.d. Accessed January 13, 2018. https://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Transformers-2362.html.
- Wagstaff, Christopher. “A Forkful of Westerns: Industry, Audiences and the Italian Western.” In Popular European Cinema, eds. Richard Dyer and Ginette Vincendeau, 245–261. London: Routledge, 1992.Google Scholar
- White, Armond. “Bay Watch: Armond White’s Transformers 2 Review for CityArts.” New York Film Critics Circle (blog). May 5, 2013. Accessed January 13, 2018. http://www.nyfcc.com/2013/05/bay-watch-armond-whites-transformers-2-review-for-cityart.