The technology of how a rocket moves, how it knows its orientation and how it controls the orientation are the subjects of this chapter. We will then take a slight diversion to consider the application of that control to the fine art of docking a spacecraft.
- Clark, J.D. Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants. (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2017).Google Scholar
- Cook, J., Aksamentov, V., Hoffman, T. and Bruner, W.. “ISS Interface Mechanisms and their Heritage”, AIAA SPACE 2011 Conference & Exposition (2011) ( https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2011-7150)
- Denny, M. (2016). Long Hops: Making Sense of Bird Migration. (Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press).Google Scholar
- French, J. Firing A Rocket: Stories of the Development of the Rocket Engines for the Saturn Launch Vehicles and the Lunar Module as Viewed from the Trenches. (Amazon Kindle, 2017).Google Scholar
- Hunley, J.D. The History of Solid-Propellant Rocketry: What We Do and Do Not Know. (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 35th Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, 1999). DOI: https://doi.org/10.2514/6.1999-2925
- Larson, W.J. and Wertz, J.R. (Ed.) Space Mission Analysis and Design, 3rd Edition (El Segundo, California: Microcosm Press, 1999).Google Scholar
- Noordung, H. The Problem of Space Travel—The Rocket’s Motor. (Washington, DC: NASA, 1995).Google Scholar
- Pappalardo, J. “The Rocket Fuel Rivalry Shaping the Future of Spaceflight.” Popular Mechanics (April 10, 2018).Google Scholar
- Salazar, D.E. “Deep-Space NASA Rocket Engines Perform Most Powerful Ignition Test Yet.” (Space.com, February 25, 2018). Available at www.space.com/39799-nasa-most-powerful-rs-25-rocket-engine-test.html.
- Stumph, D. Titan II: A History of a Cold War Missile Program. (Fayetteville, AR: University of Arkansas Press, 2002).Google Scholar
- Sutton, G.P. and O. Billarz. Rocket Propulsion Elements, 8th ed. (New York: Wiley, 2010).Google Scholar
- Turner, M.J.L. Rocket and Spacecraft Propulsion. (Berlin: Springer, 2009).Google Scholar
- Williams, F.A., M. Barrèrre and N.C. Huang. Fundamental Aspects of Solid Propellant Rockets. (Slough, U.K.: Technivision Services, 1989).Google Scholar
- Young, A. The Saturn V F-1 Engine. (Chichester, UK: Springer-Praxis, 2009).Google Scholar