In this chapter, the complex adaptive system Encounter is explored. It is demonstrated that Encounter is an integral part of the interaction supercomplex adaptive system as it is the system that has the role of positioning and determining interaction in relation to its environment. To fully understand this role, it is essential to take a look at its three sub-systems; event, context and enjeux, and how they interconnect in this system. Enjeux is a French term that is used to mean stakes or power relations. At the end of the chapter, there is an explanation of why this sub-system can be considered to be a complex adaptive system and what its role in the overarching system is. Once again a detailed example is included in order to see how this system is transposed into everyday life.
KeywordsEncounter Environment Event Context Enjeux
- Arar, Nedal H., Chen-Pin Wang, and Jacqueline A. Pugh. 2006. Self-care communication during medical encounters: Implications for future electronic medical records. Perspectives in Health Information Management 3:3.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P., and L. Wacquant. 1992. An invitation to reflexive sociology, 16. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- De Saussure, Cahiers Ferdinand. 2005. Cahiers Ferdinand De Saussure, No. 58, pp. 5–19. JSTOR. www.jstor.org/stable/27758713.
- Duranti, A. 1988. Ethnography of speaking: Toward a linguistics of the praxis. In Linguistics: The Cambridge survey, vol. VI: Language—The socio-cultural context, ed. F. J. Newmyer, 210–228. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. [Italian transl. in Barbara Turchetta, Ed., Introduzione alla linguistica antropologica. Milano: Mursia, 157–180].Google Scholar
- Edgerton, J., and L. Roberts. 2014. Cultural capital or habitus? Bourdieu and beyond in the explanation of enduring educational inequality. School Field 12 (2): 193–220.Google Scholar
- Formentelli, M. 2017. Taking stance in English as a lingua franca. Newcastle Upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.Google Scholar
- Grundy, P. 1995. Doing pragmatics. London and New York: Edward Arnold.Google Scholar
- Hofstede Insights. 2019. National Culture—Hofstede Insights. [Online] Available at https://www.hofstede-insights.com/models/national-culture/. Accessed 26 March 2019.
- Hymes, D.H. 1964. Language in culture and society. New York: Harper and Row.Google Scholar
- Hymes, D.H. 1972. On communicative competence. In Sociolinguistics: Selected Readings, ed. J.B. Pride and J. Holmes, 269–293. Harmondsworth: Penguin (Part 2).Google Scholar
- Larousse. 2019. Définitions: enjeu - Dictionnaire de français Larousse. [Online] Larousse.fr. Available at https://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/enjeu/29621. Accessed 26 March 2019.
- Larsen-Freeman, D., and L. Cameron. 2008. Complex systems and applied linguistics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- OpenLearn. 2019. An introduction to interaction design. [Online] Available at https://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/introduction-interaction-design/content-section-1. Accessed 26 March 2019.
- Oxford Dictionaries | English. 2019. Context | Definition of context in English by Oxford Dictionaries. [Online] Available at https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/context. Accessed 24 May 2019.
- Philosophy and Philosophers. 2019. Michel Foucault and power. [Online] Available at https://www.the-philosophy.com/michel-foucault-power. Accessed 26 March 2019.
- Phipps, A., and M. Gonzalez. 2004. Teaching and learning modern languages, literatures and cultures. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Saville-Troike, M. 1989. The ethnography of communication. Oxford, UK: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Witczak-Plisiecka, I. 2010. Pragmatic perspectives on language and linguistics. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars.Google Scholar
- Zhuang, B., L. Liu, C. Shen, and I. Reid. 2019. Towards context-aware interaction recognition. [Online] arXiv.org. Available at https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.06246. Accessed 26 March 2019.
- Zimmerman, D. 2008. Identity, context and interaction. Identities in Talk. London: Sage, 88–106.Google Scholar