Visual Representation Strategy of Flow Line in Flow Maps Visualization
Flow maps are usually used to express the flow relationship of space and are commonly used in population migration, transportation networks, trade links, etc. The flow line is an important medium that helps people to understand the node relationship and the flow level. Its visual representation affects the cognitive effect of data information. This paper firstly discusses the characteristics of flow line symbols, then studies the design method of flow line symbols from the perspective of visual channels, and puts forward the visual mapping model of flow lines. Finally, this paper presents two design schemes and uses real data sets to generate visualized flow maps. The visualized flow maps are evaluated employing a questionnaire survey. The results show that the overall cognitive effect of the flow line symbols is good.
KeywordsFlow line Visual channels Flow maps Data visualization
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 71871056), National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 71471037), and Basic Research Program of Xuzhou, 2017 (No. KC17071).
- 1.Jenny, B., et al.: Design principles for origin-destination flow maps. Car. Geog. In. S (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Kubícek, P., et al.: Cartographic design and usability of visual variables for linear features. Cartographic J. 54, 1–12 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Kurata, Y., Egenhofer, M.J.: Structure and semantics of arrow diagrams. In: International Conference on Spatial Information Theory. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Wei, L.I., et al.: Personalized map symbol design mechanism based on linguistics. Acta Geodaetica Et Cartographica Sinica (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Huang, W., Huang, M.: Exploring the relative importance of crossing number and crossing angle. In: ACM Press the 3rd International Symposium - Beijing, China (2010.09.28-2010.09.29) Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Visual Information Communication - VINCE 2010 (2010)Google Scholar