Oropharyngeal Carcinoma (with Comments on Nasopharynx and Hypopharynx)
- 42 Downloads
Oropharyngeal Carcinoma: this chapter outlines the incidence, risk factors, clinical presentation, investigations, treatments and prognosis of cancer at this anatomical site. These features are correlated with the core data that are required to make corresponding histopathology reports of a consistently high quality, available in an appropriate timeframe, and clinically relevant to patient management and prognosis. Summary details of the common cancers given at this site include: gross description, histological types, tumour grade/differentiation, extent of local tumour spread, lymphovascular invasion, lymph node involvement, and the status of excision margins. Current WHO Classifications of Malignant Tumours and TNM8 are referenced. Notes are provided on other associated pathology, contemporary use of immunohistochemistry, updates on the role of evolving molecular tests, and the use of these ancillary techniques as biomarkers in diagnosis, and prediction of prognosis and treatment response. A summary is given of the more common non-carcinoma malignancies that are encountered at this site in diagnostic practice.
KeywordsSquamous cell carcinoma HPV p16 Nasopharyngeal carcinoma EBV TNM8
- El-Naggar AK, Chan JKC, Grandis JR, Takata T, Slootweg PJ. WHO classification of head and neck tumours. 4th ed. Lyon: IARC; 2017.Google Scholar
- Gnepp DR. Diagnostic surgical pathology of the head and neck. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2009.Google Scholar
- Mehanna H, Evans M, Beasley M, Chatterjee S, Dilkes M, Homer J, O’Hara J, Robinson M, Shaw R, Sloan P. Oropharyngeal cancer: United Kingdom national multidisciplinary guidelines. J Laryngol Otol. 2016;130:S90–6.Google Scholar
- Pracy P, Loughran L, Good J, Parmar S, Goranova R. Hypopharyngeal cancer: United Kingdom national multidisciplinary guidelines. J Laryngol Otol. 2016;130:S104–10.Google Scholar
- Shah JP, Patel SG. Head and neck surgery and oncology. 3rd ed: Mosby; 2003.Google Scholar
- Simo R, Robinson M, Lei M, Sibtain A, Hickey S. Nasopharyngeal cancer: United Kingdom National Multidisciplinary Guidelines. J Laryngol Otol. 2016;130:S97–103.Google Scholar
- Helliwell T, Woolgar J. Dataset for histopathology reporting of mucosal malignancies of the pharynx. The Royal College of Pathologists; 2013. https://www.rcpath.org/profession/guidelines/cancer-datasets-and-tissue-pathways.html.
- Thompson L, Wenig BM. Diagnostic pathology: head and neck. Manitoba: Amirsys; 2011.Google Scholar