Customer Perception of the Quality of Online Banking Services (with Special Reference to SBI and ICICI): A Study on Chaos and a Complexity Perspective
Digitization has been introduced as a modern approach to globalization in this new era. It has a revolutionary impact on global, social, and economic aspects. With the same vision, India has taken part in this journey to transform India into a digitally empowered society. The present study aimed to find out customer perceptions of online/digital banking services provided by the State Bank of India (SBI; a public sector bank) and the Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI; a private sector bank). The study focused mainly on the aspects of understanding, relationships, and customer values. It also illustrated game-changing strategies used by the banks to handle the current chaotic situation, which occurred due to a certain change in the existing conventional schema and the interference of complexity and chaos theory in a customer service satisfaction study. Here, five dimensions were considered for fulfillment of the study: reliability, empathy, responsiveness, securities and services, and assurance. Primary data were collected in prestructured questionnaires from 200 respondents of different ages, genders, professions, and incomes through e-mail, a field survey, personal contacts, and social media. This study showed the factors involved in customer ratings of SBI and ICICI, various challenges faced by consumers in different segments, acceptance of digital banking among consumers, and diverse challenges faced by banks in implementing a digitally based banking system.
KeywordsDigital banking Consumer satisfaction Consumer perception Service gaps Banking chaos Complexity
Automated teller machine
Customer Care Personal
Customer relationship management
Electronic Funds Transfer
Government of India
Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India
National Digital Literacy Mission
State Bank of India
Term deposit receipt
Unified payment interface
- Anderson, J. C., Narus, J. A., & Van Rossum, W. (2006). Customer value propositions in business markets. Harvard Business Review, 84(3), 91–99.Google Scholar
- Badri, M. (2003). The measurement of IT centers service quality at the institutions of higher education in the UAE. Proceedings of the Baptist University Fourth Annual Research Conference at the UAE University, Al-Ain, 27–29 April.Google Scholar
- Evans, J., & Lindsay, W. (2008). Leadership and strategic planning, the management and control of quality (E.D.). Mason/Thomson: South-Western.Google Scholar
- Faranda, W. T. (1994). Customer participation in service production: An empirical assessment of the influence of realistic service previews (Doctoral dissertation). Arizona State University.Google Scholar
- Ghost, F. S., & Gnanadhas, E. (2011). Impact of service quality in commercial banks on the customers satisfaction: An empirical study. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 1(6), 19–37.Google Scholar
- Hayes, N. (1997). Doing qualitative analysis in psychology. Hove: Psychology Press.Google Scholar
- Honebein, P., & Cammarano, R. (2005). Creating do-it-yourself customers. Thomson Higher Education: Ohio.Google Scholar
- Ingle, A., & Pardeshi, R. (2012). Internet banking in India: Challenges and opportunities. IBMRD’s Journal of Management and Research, 1(1), 13–18.Google Scholar
- Jain, V., Gupta, S., & Jain, S. (2012). Customer perception on service quality in banking sector: With special reference to Indian private banks in Moradabad region. International Journal of Research in Finance and Marketing, 2(2), 597–610.Google Scholar
- Johnson, M. W., Christensen, C. M., & Kagermann, H. (2008). Reinventing your business model. Harvard Business Review, 86(12), 50–59.Google Scholar
- Kumar, S. A., Mani, B. T., Mahalingam, S., & Vanjikovan, M. (2010). Influence of service quality on attitudinal loyalty in private retail banking: An empirical study. IUP Journal of Management Research, 9(4), 21–38.Google Scholar
- Munusamy, J., Chelliah, S., & WaiMun, H. (2010). Service quality delivery and its impact on cutomer satisfaction in the banking sector in Malaysia. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, 1(4), 398.Google Scholar
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1988). SERVQUAL: A multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality. Journal of Retailing, 64(1), 12–40.Google Scholar
- Ray, N. (2016b). Impact of internet service quality (IS-QUAL) on client satisfaction: Case from Indian banking services. In U. Singh, R. Kumar, & N. Ray (Eds.), Hand book of research on promotional strategies and consumer influence in the service sector. Hershey, PA: IGI-Global.Google Scholar
- Ray, N., & Bhattacharya, A. (2017). Examination of service quality gaps: Evidence from State Bank of India. In Management and industrial engineering green and lean management (pp. 139–148). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Ray, N., & Ghosh, D. (2014). Internet service quality (I-SQ) dimensions and their impact on consumer satisfaction: Case from banking industry. Asian Journal of Research in Banking and Finance, 4(8), 212–221.Google Scholar
- Ray, N., Sen, K., & Ghosh, T. N. (2016). Examination of internet banking customer perception of service quality: Evidence from banking industry. In N. Ray (Ed.), Business infrastructure for sustainability in developing economies. Hershey, PA: IGI-Global.Google Scholar
- Rodie, A., & Kleine, S. (2000). Customer participation in service production and deliver. In Handbook of services marketing and management. London: Sage Publications, Inc..Google Scholar
- Schneider, B., & Bowen, D. E. (1995). Winning the service game. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Slu, N. Y. M., & Mou, J. C. W. (2003). A study of service quality in Internet Banking (BRC Working Papers). Hong Kong.Google Scholar
- Wilson, A., Zeithaml, V. A., Bitner, M. J., & Gremler, D. D. (2008). Services marketing. Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill Education.Google Scholar
- Yaghi Derar, S. (2010). A customised scale for measuring retail service quality in a college shop: A context specific approach (Thesis). Newcastle Business School.Google Scholar
- http://defindia.org/national-digital-literacy-mission/. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.
- http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/. Accessed 1 Dec 2018.
- http://www.ibef.org/. Accessed 1 Dec 2018.
- http://www.icsi.org.in/banking/. Accessed 1 Dec 2018.
- https://m.rbi.org.in/Scripts/PublicationVisionDocuments.aspx?Id=842. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.
- http://www.npci.org.in/. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.
- http://www.pmjdy.gov.in/account. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.
- https://www.sbi.co.in/portal/web/personal-banking/mobile-banking. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.
- https://sbiupiapp.com/. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.
- http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/19602/12/12_chapter3.pdf. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.