PGI Hom Mali Thung Kula Rong-Hai Rice in Thailand
- 145 Downloads
Thailand’s Jasmine rice, or “Khao Hom Mali” in Thai, is well recognized on the world market for its strong aroma, soft texture and slender grain. The Thung Kula Rong-Hai (TKR) area located in the Northeast of the country is especially known by the locals for high quality Khao Hom Mali, which has a more prominent aroma than the same rice produced elsewhere. The agroclimatic conditions and local know-how of TKR farmers give Khao Hom Mali Thung Kula Rong-Hai exceptional quality. Recognizing the uniqueness of the rice produced in this area and the increasing competition in aromatic rice market, the Thai government encouraged the registration of the geographical indication (GI) of Thung Kula Rong-Hai Khao Hom Mali Rice at national level in 2006. Furthermore, it successfully registered the protected geographical indication (PGI) Khao Hom Mali Thung Kula Rong-Hai with the European Union in 2013. This chapter addresses quality aspects, the value chain, and control system and sustainability analysis of certified GI Khao Hom Mali Thung Kula Rong-Hai.
National Bureau of Agricultural Commodity and Food Standard
Code of Practice
Department of Intellectual Property
Khao Dawk Mali 105
Protected Geographical Indication
The Rice Department of Thailand
Thung Kula Rong-Hai
Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights
World Trade Organization
- Bellassen, V., Giraud, G., Hilal, M., Arfini, F., Barczak, A., Bodini, A., Brennan, M., Drut, M., Duboys de Labarre, M., Gorton, M., Hartmann, M., Majewski, E., Muller, P., Monier-Dilhan, S., Poméon, T., Tocco, B., Tregear, A., Veneziani, M., Vergote, M.-H., Vitterso, G., Wavresky, P., & Wilkinson, A. (2016). Strength2Food project, deliverable 3.2: Methods and indicators for measuring the social, environmental and economic impacts of food quality schemes. Dijon: INRA.Google Scholar
- Changsri, B., Sudtasarn, G., Khongsuwan, P., Rakchum, P., Suriyaarunroj, D., Chuenban, T., & Wongboon, W. (2015). Factors affecting the quality of Thai Hom Mali rice. Proceeding of Rice and Temperate Cereal Crops Annual Conference. 11–13 Mar 2015. Ubonratchathani, pp. 191–237.Google Scholar
- Custodio, M.C., Demont, M., Laborte, A., & Ynion, J. (2016). Improving food security in Asia through consumer-focused rice breeding. Global Food Security, 9, 19–28.Google Scholar
- Department of Intellectual Property. (2007). Announcement of the registration of Thung Kula Ronghai Khao Hom Mali Rice, (in Thai). www.ipthailand.go.th/images/781/gi_reg_50100022_1.pdf. Accessed 30 June 2018.
- Department of Intellectual Property. (2012). Correction announcement of the registration of Thung Kula Ronghai Khao Hom Mali Rice, (in Thai). https://www.ipthailand.go.th/images/781/GI_Registation_50100022_e_1.pdf. Accessed 30 June 2018.
- Goodwin, H. L., Holcomb, R. B., & Rister, E. M. (1996a). A study of Asian-American rice demand in Houston, Texas. Journal of Food Distribution Research, 27, 41–48.Google Scholar
- Just, R. E., & Pope, R. D. (2001). The agricultural producer: Theory and statistical measurement. In B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (Eds.), Handbook of agricultural economics (Vol. 1, Part A, pp. 629–741). Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Elsevier Science: North-Holland.Google Scholar
- Napasintuwong, O. (2017). The roles of agricultural cooperatives in certification and production of geographical indication rice in Thailand. Proceeding of the 2017 FFTC-NTIFO International Seminar on Enhancing Agricultural Cooperatives’ Roles in Response to Changes in Food Consumption Trends. 19 Sept 2017. Taipei. http://ap.fftc.agnet.org/ap_db.php?id=793. Accessed 30 June 2018.
- National Bureau of Agricultural Commodity and Food Standards. (2011). Thai Agricultural Standard: TAS 4005-2014. Geographical Indication Rice.Google Scholar
- National Bureau of Agricultural Commodity and Food Standards. (2014). Geographical Indication Rice. Thai Agricultural Standard TAS 4005-2014. (in Thai).Google Scholar
- Ngokkuen, C., & Grote, U. (2011). The prediction of household’s behavior in adoptiong geographical indication certification of Jasmine Rice from Northeastern Thailand. International Journal on GSTF Business Review, 1(1), 173–178.Google Scholar
- Office of Agricultural Economics. (2017). Agricultural statistics. Agricultural Information Center. (in Thai) http://www.oae.go.th. Accessed 30 June 2018.
- Official Journal of the European Union. (2010). Publication of an application pursuant to Article 6(2) of Council Regulation (EC) No 510/2006 on the protection of geographical indications and designations of origin for agricultural products and foodstuffs (2010/C 169/06) ข้าวหอมมะลิทุ่งกุลาร้องไห้ (KHAO HOM MALI THUNG KULA RONG-HAI) EC No: TH-PGI-0005-0729-20.11.2008. http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/quality/door/publishedName.html?denominationId=1250. Accessed 30 June 2018.
- Official Journal of the European Union. (2012). Regulation (EU) No 1151/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 November 2012 on quality schemes for agricultural products and foodstuffs. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32012R1151. Accessed 30 June 2018.
- Official Journal of the European Union. (2013). Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 120/2013 ข้าวหอมมะลิทุ่งกุลาร้องไห้ (KHAO HOM MALI THUNG KULA RONG-HAI) EC No: TH-PGI-0005-0729-20.11.2008. http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/quality/door/publishedName.html?denominationId=1250. Accessed 30 June 2018.