History of the Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty
Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty dates back to the 1940s and 1950s and has waxed and waned in its utilization over time. Early implants were of the hemiarthroplasty/spacer design, while modern implants are closer in relation to a total-knee arthroplasty. The evolution of unicompartmental knee replacement components and the improvements in instrumentation have made implantation more reliable and consistent over time. Most recently, unicompartmental knee replacements are routinely being performed as outpatient procedures in surgery centers. The future may hold further validation of robotic surgery, cementless implants, and improved outpatient outcomes for unicompartmental knee replacements. This chapter offers some historical insight into the path that has been taken to get to the modern-day unicompartmental knee arthroplasty.
KeywordsHistory Hemiarthroplasty McKeever Oxford Outcomes
- 1.Australian Orthopaedic Association National Joint Replacement Registry. Hip, Knee & Shoulder Annual Report 2017. https://aoanjrr.sahmri.com/en/annual-reports-2017. Accessed 1 August 2018.
- 15.Laurencin CT, Zelicof SB, Scott RD, Ewald FC. Unicompartmental versus total knee arthroplasty in the same patient. A comparative study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1991;273:151–6.Google Scholar
- 18.Mackinnon J, Young S, Baily RA. The St Georg sledge for unicompartmental replacement of the knee. A prospective study of 115 cases. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1988;70(2):217–23. PMID: 3346291.Google Scholar
- 19.Mckeever DC. The choice of prosthetic materials and evaluation of results. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1955;6:17–21.Google Scholar
- 21.National Joint Registry. 14th Annual Report National Joint Registry for England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man. http://www.njrreports.org.uk/portals/0/pdFdownloads/NjR%2014th%20annual%20Report%202017.pdf. Accessed 1 August 2018.
- 29.Siman H, Kamath AF, Carrillo N, Harmsen WS, Pagnano MW, Sierra RJ. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty vs total knee arthroplasty for medial compartment arthritis in patients older than 75 years: comparable reoperation, revision, and complication rates. J Arthroplast. 2017;32(6):1792–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Soohoo NF, Sharifi H, Kominski G, Lieberman JR. Cost-effectiveness analysis of unicompartmental knee arthroplasty as an alternative to total knee arthroplasty for unicompartmental osteoarthritis. JBJS. 2006;88(9):1975–82.Google Scholar
- 32.Swedish Knee Arthroplasty Register. Swedish knee arthroplasty register 2017 Annual Report. http:// www.myknee.se/pdf/SVK_2017_ Eng_1.0.pdf. Accessed 1 August 2018.