Automated Design of Customized 3D-Printed Wrist Orthoses on the Basis of 3D Scanning
The paper presents development and studies of an intelligent CAD (Computer Aided Design) model of an openwork wrist orthosis. The key feature is customization capability on the basis of shape and size of patient’s hand and arm. A patient is first 3D scanned using a cheap structured light scanner. Then, the gathered anthropometric data is used as a base for automated adjustment of geometry of an intelligent model of a wrist orthosis. Finally, the orthosis can be 3D printed using low-cost machines. Automation of design eliminates a need of manual processing of 3D scans and 3D models, as the model automatically adjusts itself to patient’s data and is ready for manufacturing. The paper presents basic concepts, development and studies on such a model. The studies comprised of collision analysis between an automatically generated orthosis and patient’s own hand and arm, as well as manufacturing examples of orthoses and fitting them to real patient’s hand. The results are generally positive, but further development is required to obtain optimal results for great majority of patients.
Keywords3D printing Wrist orthosis 3D scanning Automated design
The studies were realized with a support from Polish National Center for Research and Development, in the scope of the “LIDER” program (grant agreement no. LIDER/14/0078/L-8/16/NCBR/2017).
- 1.Marro, A., Bandukwala, T., Mak, W.: Three-dimensional printing and medical imaging: a review of the methods and applications. Curr. Probl. Diagn. Radiol. 45, 2–9 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1067/j.cpradiol.2015.07.00
- 2.Tukuru, N., Gowda, S.K.P., Ahmed, S.M., Badami, S.: Rapid prototype technique in medical field. Int. J. PharmTech Res. 1(4), 341–344 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Chua, C.K., Leong, K.F., Lim, C.S.: Rapid Prototyping: Principles and Applications. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Singapore, pp. 25–35 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Otawa N., Sumida T., Kitagaki H., Sasaki K., Fujibayashi S., Takemoto M., Nakamura T., Yamada T., Mori Y., Matsushita T.: Custom-made titanium devices as membranes for bone augmentation in implant treatment: modeling accuracy of titanium products constructed with selective laser melting. J. Craniomaxillofac. Surg. 43(7), 1289–1295CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Górski F., Wichniarek R., Kuczko W., Banaszewski J., Pabiszczak M., Application of low-cost 3D printing for production of CT-based individual surgery supplies. In: World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering 2018, June 3–8, Prague, Czech Republic (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Kelly S., Paterson A., Bibb R. J.: A review of wrist splint designs for additive manufacture. In: Rapid Design, Prototyping and Manufacture Conference, Loughbrough, Great Britain, p. 12 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Huotilainen, E., Jaanimets, R., Valasek, J., Marcian, P., Salmi, M., Tuomi, J., Makitie, A., Wolff, J.: Inaccuracies in additive manufactured medical skull models caused by the DICOM to STL conversion process. J. Craniomaxillofac. Surg. 42, e259–e265 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2013.10.001CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Górski, F., Wichniarek, R., Zawadzki, P., Hamrol, A.: Computation of mechanical properties of parts manufactured by fused deposition modeling using finite element method. In: Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. Springer, 368, pp. 403–413. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-19719-7_35Google Scholar
- 12.Burdzinska, M.: Prototyping of customized wrist orthesis using additive manufacturing technologies, Diploma thesis, Poznan University of Technology (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Evill, J.: Cortex (cited 28 Oct 2015). Available from: http://jakevilldesign.dunked.com/cortex
- 14.Fitzpatrick, A., Mohanned, M., Collis, P., Gibson, I.: Design of a patient Specific, 3D printed Arm Cast. In: DesTech Conference Procedings, The International Conference on Design and Technology, Geelong (2017)Google Scholar
- 15.Wierzbicka, N., Wesołowska, I.: Design automation of individualized limb orthoses. Diploma thesis, Poznan University of Technology (2018)Google Scholar