Most imaging centers have more than one make and model of CT scanner in use across multiple locations within a hospital, city, or geographical region. These different scanners must fulfill identical imaging requests while often simultaneously realizing local site-specific exams. Many sites have in the hundreds of CT protocols to satisfy the hundreds of order sets a clinical diagnostic CT scanner receives. These clinical and logistical realities make CT protocol management challenging. This chapter defines this problem in more detail. We discuss strategies to address CT protocol management. We define a CT protocol from the perspective of clinical, compliance, workflow, and technical details. We discuss why we need a CT protocol optimization team and team membership. Lastly, we review solutions for documenting CT protocols and disseminating them to one’s CT scanner fleet.
KeywordsCT protocol management Quality management system Cloud Protocol CT protocol optimization team Compliance
- 2.ACR appropriateness criteria. American College of Radiology Web site. https://www.acr.org/Clinical-Resources/ACR-Appropriateness-Criteria Accessed 23rd Jan 2019.
- 4.Szczykutowicz TP, Brunnquell CL, Avey GD, Bartels C, Belden DS, Bruce RJ, Field AS, Peppler WW, Wasmund P, Wendt G. A general framework for monitoring image acquisition workflow in the radiology environment: timeliness for acute stroke CT imaging. J Digit Imaging. 2018;31(2):201–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.AAPM CT Lexicon Version 1.3. AAPM Web site. https://www.aapm.org/pubs/CTProtocols/documents/CTTerminologyLexicon.pdf Accessed 23rd Jan 2019.
- 6.TJC The Joint Commission Diagnostic Imaging Standards. https://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/18/AHC_DiagImagingRpt_MK_20150806.pdf. Retrieved 18th Jan 2019.
- 7.Szczykutowicz TP, Pozniak M. A team approach for CT protocol optimization. J Assoc Med Imaging Manag Radiol Manag. 2016. Available at http://www.radiologymanagement-digital.com/radiologymanagement/11122016.
- 8.Szczykutowicz TP, Rubert N, Belden D, Ciano A, Duplissis A, Hermanns A, Monette S, JanssenSaldivar E. A wiki based CT protocol management system. Radiol Manage. 2015;(6):25–9.Google Scholar
- 9.DICOM. DICOM Supplement 121: CT Protocol Storage. ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/final/sup121_ft.pdf Accessed 23rd Jan 2019.
- 20.IHE Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise: Management of Acquisition Protocols (MAP). https://www.ihe.net/uploadedFiles/Documents/Radiology/IHE_RAD_Suppl_MAP.pdf. Retrieved 18th Jan 2019.
- 21.Bohl M, Szczykutowicz T. A challenge to radiology and its professional associations: advocate for the implementation of IHE’s management of acquisition protocols (MAP) profile. Published in the Radiology Business Management Association (RBMA) Bulletin November–December 2018.Google Scholar
- 25.Kalra MK, Saini S, Rubin GD, editors. MDCT: from protocols to practice. New York: Springer Science & Business Media; 2009. Chapter 2 by KT Bae.Google Scholar