Spatial Distribution of Phylogenetic Diversity of South American Anurans
Understanding the spatial distributions of phylogenetic diversity is an opportunity to support policy-makers and designing conservation strategies in megadiverse regions. Here, we mapped the spatial distribution of Faith’s phylogenetic diversity (PD) and phylogenetic endemism (PE) of amphibian species distributed across South America. Although we found areas of high species richness (SR) correlated with areas of high PD or PE, there are regions with much more PD/PE or much less PD/PE than expected given the SR. Using a phylogenetic approach, we found that the factors regulating amphibian biodiversity involve a complex interplay of evolutionary and biogeographical processes in different regions of South America. These results might help supporting conservation planning for this threatened vertebrate group.
KeywordsAmphibians Coldspot Conservation biogeography Evolutionary history Faith diversity Phylogenetic endemism
The authors have been continuously supported by research grants and/or fellowships from the Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP 2011/18510-0; 2013/50714-0; 2016/13949-7), Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq 2037/2014-9; 431012/2016-4; 308687/2016-17; 114613/2018-4), and University Research and Scientific Production Support Program of the Goias State University (PROBIP/UEG). Prof. Dr. Victor Satoru Saito (UFSCar) read critically the first version of this manuscript and provided insightful comments that improved it.
- Graham CH, Parra M, Mora A et al (2018) The interplay between geological history and ecology in mountains. In: Hoorn C, Perrigo A, Antonelli A (eds) Mountains, climate and biodiversity. Wiley Blackwell, Hoboken, p 231Google Scholar
- Guedes TB, Azevedo JAR, Bacon CD et al (2019) Diversity, endemism, and evolutionary history of montane biotas outside the Andean region. In: Rull V, Carnaval A (eds) Neotropical Diversification. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- IUCN (2016) IUCN red list of threatened species. http://www.iucnredlist.org/technical-documents/spatial-data. Accessed 22 Mar 2019
- Magurran AE, McGill BJ (2011) Biological diversity Frontiers in measurement and assessment. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Vellend M, Cornwell WK, Magnuson-Ford K (2011) Measuring phylogenetic biodiversity. In: Magurran AE, McGill BJ (eds) Biological diversity Frontiers in measurement and assessment. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar