Childhood, Early Schooling, and Exposure to Cultural Diversity (1895–1910)
This chapter accounts for Rachel’s childhood as a farm girl with exposure to people of difference (African American and Italian) who worked on the farm. Her religiosity and spirituality are described in terms of Quaker belief as well as in her meetings with people from different faith traditions. Throughout her childhood, we see Rachel as socially awkward and spiritually curious.
Rachel tells us about her education, first in a one-room school, and then in a Quaker high school that was blended into the public school system where she grew up in southern New Jersey. It is here that Rachel tells us of her love of nature, which will be alluded to in the later chapters.
- Betts, George, and Otis E. Hall. 1914. Better Rural Schools. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill Company.Google Scholar
- Degh, Linda. 1972. “Folk Narrative.” In Folklore and Folklife: An Introduction, ed. Richard M. Dorson, 53–84. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- DuBois, Rachel Davis. 1984. All This and Something More: Pioneering in Intercultural Education. Bryn Mawr: Dorrance.Google Scholar
- Dunbar, Paul Laurence. 1980. The Complete Poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar. New York: Dodd, Mead.Google Scholar
- Gould, Lewis. 2001a. “William Taft.” In The Oxford Companion to United States History, ed. Paul Boyer, 760. New York: Oxford.Google Scholar
- ———. 2001b. “Theodore Roosevelt.” In The Oxford Companion to United States History, ed. Paul Boyer, 676–677. New York: Oxford.Google Scholar
- ———. 2001c. “William McKinley.” In The Oxford Companion to United States History, ed. Paul Boyer, 482–483. New York: Oxford.Google Scholar
- Graham, Patricia A. 1967. Progressive Education: From Arcady to Academe. New York: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Halpert, Herbert. 2010. Folk Tales, Tall Tales, Trickster Tales and Legends of the Supernatural from the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press.Google Scholar
- Hershowitz, L. 2001. “Ellis Island.” In The Oxford Companion to United States History, ed. Paul Boyer, 222. New York: Oxford.Google Scholar
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. 2007. Faith and Practice. Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.Google Scholar
- Pike, Kenneth L. 1955. Language in Relation to a Unified Theory of the Structure of Human Behavior. Glendale, CA: Summer Institute of Linguistics.Google Scholar
- Taylor, Frederick Winslow. 1911. Principles of Scientific Management. S.I. Forgotten Books.Google Scholar