Pediatric Aerodigestive Programs: Role of the Core Team Members, Speech Language Pathology, Pulmonology, Gastroenterology, Otolaryngology, and Parent/Caregiver
The multidisciplinary approach to children with aerodigestive disorders is rewarding. Through this approach, efficient, cost-effective, patient-centered, family-focused, and consistent care can be delivered. The number of new diagnoses and the speed to diagnosis increase. The overall cost to diagnosis decreases, and the efficiency in the OR increases, freeing up more OR time for other unique procedures. These complex and medically fragile patients deserve our best and concerted care to help them reach their maximal potential.
KeywordsPediatric aerodigestive programs Speech language pathology in aerodigestive disorders Pulmonology in aerodigestive disorders Gastroenterology in aerodigestive disorders Otolaryngology in aerodigestive disorders
- 3.Appachi S, Banas A, Feinberg L, et al. Association of enrollment in an aerodigestive clinic with reduced hospital stay for children with special health care needs. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;143(11):1117–21. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoto.2017.1743.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.American Speech Language and Hearing Association. Scope of practice in speech-language pathology. 2016. www.asha.org/policy.
- 13.de Vries IAC, Breugem CC, van der Heul AMB, Eijkemans MJC, Kon M, van der Molen ABM. Prevalence of feeding disorders in children with cleft palate only: a retrospective study. Clin Oral Investig. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-013-1117-x.
- 15.Arvedson J, Brodsky L, editors. Pediatric swallowing and feeding: assessment and management. 2nd ed. Albany: Singular Publishing; 2002.Google Scholar
- 22.Stemple JC, Hapner ER, editors. Voice therapy: clinical case studies. 4th ed. San Diego: Plural Publishing; 2014.Google Scholar
- 26.Gallena SJK, Solomon NP, Johnson AT, Vossoughi J, Tian W. The effect of exercise on respiratory resistance in athletes with and without paradoxical vocal fold motion disorder. Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2015;24(3):470–9. https://doi.org/10.1044/2015_AJSLP-14-0110.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar