Positive Directions for Reform
- 6 Downloads
Adopt our proposed Citizen Empowerment Plan (CEP) where citizens own the oil and revenues are distributed directly to the citizens.
Reduce the reliance on oil and diversify away from oil.
Tailor education to develop new comparative advantages.
Move towards more transparency and accountability.
Reduce military expenditures.
Reduce government employment.
Improve youth employment.
Empower women and reduce population growth.
More publicizing of indices, ratings, and rankings
Contingent international aid, finance, and loans
Membership and status in international and MENA organizations
Empowering the citizens with a sense of resource ownership to insure government accountability
Taxing and repatriating the assets in countries outside of MENA owned by autocrats and their cronies
Adoption of constitutional monarchies and truly representative governments with clear separation of powers and press freedom
Realization that the status quo is unsustainable
- Acemoglu D, Robinson JA (2012) Why nations fail: the origins of power, prosperity and poverty. Crown Publishers, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Arezki R, Mottaghi L, Barone A, Fan RY, Harb AA, Karasapan OM, Matsunaga H, Nguyen H, de Soyres F (2018) A new economy in Middle East and North Africa. In: Middle East and North Africa economic monitor (October). World Bank, Washington, DC. https://doi.org/10.1596/978-1-4648-1367-2. License: Creative Commons Attribution CC BY 3.0 IGO
- Boukhlef A (2019) Liberte, Feb 24, https://www.liberte-algerie.com/actualite/les-algeriens-ont-brise-le-mur-de-la-peur-310113
- Cook L (2019) EU, Arab leaders vow to boost security, migration ties, 24 FebGoogle Scholar
- De La Cuesta, B. et al. (2018) Owning it: accountability and citizens’ ownership over aid, oil, and taxes, 3 Dec. https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/hvmilner/files/ownership_paper.pdf. Accessed 28 Sept 2019
- Fund for Peace (2019a) Fragile states index 2019: overview. https://fundforpeace.org/. Accessed 15 May 2019
- Fund for Peace (2019b) Fragile states index, risk and vulnerability in 178 countries. https://fragilestatesindex.org/
- Khashoggi J, Lacey R (2018) What Saudi Arabia’s crown prince can learn from Queen Elizabeth II, The Washington Post, 28 Feb. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2018/02/28/what-saudi-arabias-crown-prince-can-learn-from-queen-elizabeth-ii/
- Legatum Institute (2018) The legatum prosperity index. http://www.prosperity.com/rankings. Accessed 15 May 2019
- Malsin J (2019) Holding its tongue on democracy, EU presses Arab leaders to stem migration. Wall Street J, 25 Feb. https://www.wsj.com/articles/holding-its-tongue-on-democracy-eu-presses-arab-leaders-to-stem-migration-11551121873
- Norberg, Jonas, Narrator (2016) Adam Smith: Morality and Markets, 28 March (starting at 42 minutes) at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6S6pMsKzlI. Accessed 2 Mar 2019
- Ouali H (2019) Sans chef et sans boussole: le pouvoir veut casser la mobilisation, El Watan, Mar 10. https://www.elwatan.com/a-la-une/sans-chef-et-sans-boussole-le-pouvoir-veut-casser-la-mobilisation-10-03-2019. Accessed 10 Mar 2019
- Raghavan S (2019 Their president gone, Algerians now want democracy. Will the army allow it? The Washington Post, 3 April. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/their-president-gone-algerians-now-want-democracy-will-the-army-allow-it/2019/04/03/ebcfa436-5263-11e9-bdb7-44f948cc0605_story.html
- Reporters Without Borders for Freedom of Information (2019) World Press Freedom Index. https://rsf.org/en/ranking_table
- Seelke CR (2019) Venezuela: overview of U.S. Sanctions, Aug 22. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/IF10715.pdf
- Transparency International (2018) Corruption perceptions index. www.transparency.org/cpi. Accessed 15 May 2019
- World Bank (2018a) World development indicators. Foreign direct investment, net inflows (% of GDP). https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/BX.KLT.DINV.WD.GD.ZS
- World Bank (2018b) Fixing the education crisis in the Middle East and North Africa, by Ferid Belhaj, The World Bank, https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/opinion/2018/11/13/fixing-the-education-crisis-in-the-middle-east-and-north-africa
- World Bank (2019a) Key findings, Global indicators of regulatory governance, The World Bank, https://rulemaking.worldbank.org/en/key-findings. Accessed 3 Feb 2019
- World Bank (2019b) Doing business, rankings & ease of doing business score. https://www.doingbusiness.org/en/rankings. Accessed 15 May 2019
- World Economic Forum (2019) News release, Rule of law and institutions needed for recovery in Iraq and Syria, Apr 6. https://mailchi.mp/b3e748407050/rule-of-law-and-institutions-needed-for-recovery-in-iraq-and-syria?e=eb1d7840ca. Accessed 6 Apr 2019