Automated S Parameter-Free Electronic Oscillator Design, Performance Evaluation Scheme, and Step-by-Step Design Examples Using SPICE, Discrete Fourier Transform
The automated S parameter-free oscillator design and performance evaluation scheme is examined in detail in this chapter. The differences between the new scheme and the traditional S parameter-based technique are highlighted. An exhaustive set of step-by-step design examples is provided to illustrate the sequence of design calculations of the S parameter-free oscillator design and performance evaluation technique. The design calculation steps are performed by simple C computer language executables. The performance evaluation is done with the gold standard SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis) and a simple C language program that implements the powerful discrete Fourier transform (DFT). SPICE provides time domain start-up and steady-state performance characteristics, while DFT generates the frequency domain performance characteristics of the oscillator. The design examples illustrate oscillators operating at the RF and microwave frequency range (100s of MHz–10s of GHz).
KeywordsCommon emitter Common base Common collector Colpitts Negative resistance Emitter bypass capacitor Input–output coupling capacitor S parameter Differential oscillator Crystal oscillator Discrete Fourier transform (DFT) Power spectrum CAD (computer-aided design) SPICE RF and microwave
- 1.HFA3134 and HFA3145 data sheets from: https://www.renesas.com/en-us/www/doc/datasheet/hfa3134-35.pdf
- 2.Google search with “HFA3134 datasheet” gives: https://www.renesas.com/us/en/products/amplifiers-buffers/ transistor-arrays/transistor-arrays/device/HFA3134.html.
- 3.Google search with “HFA3134 spice model” gives: http://ltwiki.org/files/LTspiceIV/Vendor%20List/Intersil/ Other%20Analog/Spice/hfa3134.mdl.txt.
- 4.Google search with “large signal S parameter tutorial ADS” gives: https://www.utdallas.edu/~rmh072000/Site/...and.../5A_slides.pdf
- 5.Google search with “large signal S parameter AWR” gives: https://awrcorp.com/download/faq/english/docs/users.../ch03s03.html
- 6.HSpice User Guide RF-Analysis https://www.ele.uri.edu/courses/ele448/HspiceRef/hspice_rf.pdf
- 7.Kernighan BW, Ritchie D The C Programming Language, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall Inc., Upper Saddle River, NJ. ISBN 0-13-110370-9,0-13-110362-8Google Scholar
- 8.Ngspice 29 Users manual from: https://ngspice.sourceforge.net/docs/ngspice-manual.pdf