Liquid-Based Preparations in Thyroid Fine Needle Aspiration
- 494 Downloads
Estimated annual incidence of thyroid nodules in the United States is 0.1%, which translates to 300,000 new nodules every year.
Up to 50% of the general population may have sonographically detectable thyroid nodules, although only up to 5% of these harbor a malignancy.
The high incidence of thyroid nodules and low rate of cancer among nodules pose a clinical dilemma.
KeywordsThyroid cancer statistics Fine needle aspiration (FNA) of thyroid The Bethesda System for Reporting Thyroid Cytopathology TBSRTC Ancillary studies Conventional smears Liquid-based preparations ThinPrep SurePath Advantages and disadvantages of various preparations Laboratory processing techniques
- 2.American Cancer Society. Key statistics for thyroid cancer. 2019. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/thyroid-cancer/about/key-statistics.html. Accessed 14 Mar 2019.
- 4.Chang H, Lee E, Lee H, Choi J, Kim A, Kim BH. Comparison of diagnostic values of thyroid aspiration samples using liquid-based preparation and conventional smear: one-year experience in a single institution. APMIS. 2013;121:139–45. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0463.2012.02944.x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Fischer AH, Clayton AC, Bentz JS, Wasserman PG, Henry MR, Souers RJ, et al. Performance differences between conventional smears and liquid-based preparations of thyroid fine-needle aspiration samples: analysis of 47,076 responses in the College of American Pathologists Interlaboratory Comparison Program in Non-Gynecologic Cytology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013;137:26–31. https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2012-0009-CP.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Luu MH, Fischer AH, Pisharodi L, Owens CL. Improved preoperative definitive diagnosis of papillary thyroid carcinoma in FNAs prepared with both ThinPrep and conventional smears compared with FNAs prepared with ThinPrep alone. Cancer Cytopathol. 2011;119:68–73. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncy.20124.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Moss W, Finegersh A, Pang J, Califano JA, Coffey CS, Orosco R, et al. Needle biopsy of routine thyroid nodules should be performed using a capillary action technique with 24-27 gauge needles: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Thyroid. 2018;28:857–63. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2017.0643.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Nasuti JF, Tam D, Gupta PK. Diagnostic value of liquid-based (ThinPrep) preparations in nongynecologic cases. Diagn Cytopathol 2001;24:137–141.Google Scholar
- 23.Rossi ED, Morassi F, Santeusanio G, Zannoni GF, Fadda G. Thyroid fine needle aspiration cytology processed by ThinPrep: an additional slide decreased the number of inadequate results. Cytopathology. 2010;21:97–102. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2303.2009.00659.x.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar