Education in Transition: Structure, Expansion and Inequality
- 193 Downloads
The author describes how the educational system in post-Soviet Ukraine has undergone structural changes such as the expansion of higher education and the segregation and stratification of primary and secondary education. Education reforms were implemented aiming to reduce inequalities in educational opportunities and weakening the association between social origin and educational attainments. However, empirical data presented by the author suggest that transmission of educational inequality across generations has remained unchanged during the period of transformation of Ukrainian society. This chapter describes the long process of reforming and how higher education expansion has not been equally distributed across people from advantaged and disadvantaged social backgrounds.
KeywordsEducation reforms Educational inequality Higher education expansion Secondary education stratification
- Bauer, P., & Riphahn, R. (2009). Kindergarten enrollment and the intergenerational transmission of education (Discussion Paper No. 4466). Institute for the Study of Labor. Retrieved from ftp.iza.org/dp4466.pdf.
- Bezpekovi vymiry osvitn’oyi polityky: svitovyy dosvid ta ukrayinsʹki realiyi. Analitychna dopovidʹ [Security dimensions of education policy: World experience and Ukrainian realities. Analytical report]. (2017). Kyiv: National Institute for Strategic Studies.Google Scholar
- Blossfeld, H. P., Kulic, N., Skopek, J., & Triventi, M. (Eds.). (2017). Childcare, early education and social inequality: An international perspective. Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Diagnostyka sektoru doshkilʹnoyi osvity. Zvit za rezulʹtatamy kompleksnoho doslidzhennya [Diagnostics of the pre-school education sector. Report on the results of integrated research]. (2013). Retrieved March 7, 2019 from http://eura.org.ua/.
- Doshkilʹna osvita v Ukrayini u 2017 rotsi. Statystychnyy zbirnyk [Pre-school education in Ukraine in 2017. Statistical collection]. (2018). Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine.Google Scholar
- Doshkilʹni navchalʹni zaklady Ukrayiny u 2010 rotsi. Statystychnyy byuletenʹ [Preschool educational institutions of Ukraine in 2010. Statistic bulletin]. (2011). Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine.Google Scholar
- Ekonomichna aktyvnistʹ naselennya Ukrayiny 2017. Statystychnyy zbirnyk [Economic activity of the population of Ukraine 2017. Statistical collection]. (2018). Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine.Google Scholar
- Global Competitiveness Index 2017–2018 edition. (2018). World Economic Forum. Retrieved from http://reports.weforum.org/global-competitiveness-index-2017-2018/countryeconomy-profiles/#economy=UKR.
- Goldthorpe, J. (2016). Decades of investment in education have not improved social mobility. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/13/decades-of-educational-reform-no-social-mobility.
- Haim, E. B., Shavit, Y., & Ayalon H. (2007). Expansion and inequality of educational opportunity: A comparative multi-level analysis. Retrieved from https://www.mcgill.ca/iris/files/iris/Panel1.1Haim.pdf.
- Higher education in conditions of reform; changes in public opinion. (2017). Ilko Kucheriv Democratic Initiatives Foundation. Retrieved from https://dif.org.ua/en/article/higher-education-in-conditions-of-reform-changes-in-public-opinion.
- Khobzey, P. (2003). Rivnyy dostup ditey do pochatkovoyi osvity [Equal access for children to primary education]. Strategiya reformuvannya osvity v Ukrayini: Rekomendatsiyi z osvitnʹoyi polityky [Strategy for reforming education in Ukraine: Recommendations on educational policy] (pp. 43–56). Kyiv: K.I.S.Google Scholar
- Klein, E. (2014). Ukraine’s External Independent Testing innovation. International Higher Education, 75, 24–25. Retrieved from https://ejournals.bc.edu/ojs/index.php/ihe/article/view/5438.
- Kogut, I., & Samokhin, I. (2017). Social and economic factors contributing to inequality in test results. CEDOS. Retrieved from https://cedos.org.ua/uk/articles/sotsialno-ekonomichni-faktory-u-nerivnosti-rezultativ-navchannia-u-serednii-shkoli.
- Kvit, S. (2015). The battlefront of civilizations: Education in Ukraine. Kyiv: Kyiv-Mohyla Academy Publishing House.Google Scholar
- Libanova, E. (Ed.). (2009). Bidnistʹ ta nerivni mozhlyvosti ditey v Ukrayini [Poverty and unequal opportunities for children in Ukraine]. Kyiv: Institute for Demography and Social Studies of the NAS of Ukraine, UNICEF, Ukrainian Center for Social Reforms.Google Scholar
- Natsionalʹna strategiya rozvytku osvity v Ukrayini na period do 2021 roku [National strategy for the development of education in Ukraine for the period up to 2021]. (2013). Retrieved February 16, 2019 from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/344/2013.
- OECD. (2014). Does pre-primary education reach those who need it most? PISA in Focus, 40. OECD. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/pisa/pisaproducts/pisainfocus/pisa-in-focus-n40-(eng)-final.pdf.
- Oksamytna, S. (2011). Mizhgeneratsiyna klasova i osvitnya mobilʹnistʹ [Intergenerational class and educational mobility]. Kyiv: NaUKMA.Google Scholar
- Oksamytna, S. (2015). Typ shkoly ta mistse prozhyvannya yak chynnyky dyferentsiatsiyi rezulʹtativ zovnishnʹoho nezalezhnoho otsinyuvannya [Type of school and place of residence as factors of differentiation of the results of external independent evaluation]. Grani, 5(121), 46–52.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oksamytna, S., & Khomenko, L. (2017). Osvitnya nerivnistʹ v ukrayinsʹkomu suspilʹstvi: sotsialʹni determinanty osvitnikh perekhodiv [Educational inequality in Ukrainian society: Social determinants of educational transitions]. Scientific Notes of NaUKMA. Sociological Sciences, 196, 13–18.Google Scholar
- Osnovni pokaznyky diyalʹnosti vyshchykh navchalʹnykh zakladiv Ukraïny na pochatok 2010/11 navchalʹnoho roku. Statystychnyy byuletenʹ [The main indicators of the activity of higher educational institutions of Ukraine at the beginning of the 2010/11 school year. Statistical bulletin]. (2011). Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine.Google Scholar
- Reytyng shkil za rezulʹtatamy ZNO z ukrayinsʹkoyi movy [Rating of schools according to the results of the IEE on the Ukrainian language]. (2018). Retrieved February 16, 2019 from https://osvita.ua/school/rating/61731/.
- Simonova, N., & Soukur, P. (2008). Evolution and determination of educational inequalities in the Czech Republic between 1995 and 2002 in the European context. Prague: Institute of Sociology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.Google Scholar
- Sotsialʹno-demografichni kharakterystyky domogospodarstv Ukrayiny u 2018 rotsi (za danymy vybirkovoho obstezhennya umov zhyttya domogospodarstv). Statystychnyy zbirnyk [Socio-demographic characteristics of households in Ukraine in 2018 (according to a sample survey of living conditions of households). Statistical collection]. (2018). Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine.Google Scholar
- Stadnyy, E. (2018). Ukrayinsʹke student·stvo za kordonom: dani do 2017/18 navchalʹnoho roku [Ukrainian students abroad: Data up to 2017/18 academic year]. CEDOS. Retrieved February 16, 2019 from https://cedos.org.ua/uk/articles/ukrainske-studentstvo-za-kordonom-dani-do-201718-navchalnoho-roku.
- Strategiya reformuvannya vyshchoyi osvity v Ukrayini do 2020 roku (Proekt) [The strategy of higher education reform in Ukraine until 2020 (Project)]. (2014). Retrieved February 5, 2019 from http://old.mon.gov.ua/img/zstored/files/HE%20Reforms%20Strategy%2011_11_2014.pdf.
- Sytuatsiya na rynku pratsi ta rezulʹtaty diyalʹnosti derzhavnoyi sluzhby zaynyatosti u 2018 rotsi. Analitychna zapyska [The situation in the labour market and the results of the state employment service in 2018. Analytical note]. (2019). State Employment Service. Retrieved February 16, 2019 from https://www.dcz.gov.ua/analitics/68.
- Vyshcha osvita v Ukrayini u 2017. Statystychnyy zbirnyk [Higher education in Ukraine in 2017. Statistical collection]. (2018). Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine.Google Scholar
- Zagalʹnoosvitni navchalʹni zaklady Ukraiyiny na pochatok 2010/11 navchalʹnogo roku. Statystychnyy byuletenʹ [Secondary school educational institutions of Ukraine at the beginning of the 2010/11 school year. Statistical bulletin]. (2011). Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine.Google Scholar
- Zagalʹnoosvitni ta profesiyno-tekhnichni navchalʹni zaklady Ukrayiny. Statystychnyy zbirnyk [Secondary and vocational schools of Ukraine. Statistical collection]. (2018). Kyiv: State Statistics Service of Ukraine.Google Scholar
- Zvit za rezulʹtatamy sotsiologichnoho doslidzhennya “Yak stavlyatʹsya do zovnishnʹoho nezalezhnoho otsinyuvannya yoho uchasnyky” [Report on the results of a sociological study “How is the external independent evaluation perceived by its participants”]. (2016). Ilko Kucheriv Democratic Initiatives Foundation. Retrieved February 16, 2019 from https://dif.org.ua/uploads/pdf/184407976587ca441131186.32222902.pdf.