Synchronising the Nation: Media Networks and Russian Time Reforms of the 1920s and 2010s
This chapter aims to analyse how the government of Russia communicated the newly established time via time signals and how different media framed these time signals, in the course of two time reforms in the 1920s and 2010s. Firstly, it discusses the spread of time signals with railroads, telegraph, and radiotelegraph networks, attempts of centralising time by the Bolsheviks, and centralised media infrastructure. Then, the chapter draws attention to the 2010s’ time reforms and addresses an important conflict between centralised time coming from the Russian government by national media infrastructure and private clocks on digital devices. It combines theoretical reflections and empirical findings through the lens of three dichotomies between media and time: accuracy–precision, public–private, and national–transnational.
- Adam, B. (1995). Timewatch: The social analysis of time. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- BBC. (2012). Putin called Medvedev responsible for the time [Putin nazval Medvedeva otvetstvennym za vremja]. https://www.bbc.com/russian/russia/2012/09/120926_medvedev_putin_change_time. Accessed 1 Dec 2018.
- Council of People’s Commissars. (1917, December 22). On moving of the clock hand [O perevode strelki chasov].Google Scholar
- Council of People’s Commissars. (1919a, February 8). On the introduction of timekeeping according to the international time zone system [O vvedenii scheta vremeni po mezhdunarodnoj sisteme chasovyh pojasov].Google Scholar
- Council of People’s Commissars. (1919b, March 29). On the postponement of the enactment of the decree on the calculation of time in the international system of time zones [Ob otsrochke vvedenija v deĭstvie dekreta ob ischislenii vremeni po mezhdunarodnoĭ sisteme chasovyh pojasov].Google Scholar
- Council of People’s Commissars. (1919c, June 24). On the rules for the enactment of the decree on the calculation of time in the international system of time zones [O pravilah vvedenija v deĭstvie dekreta ob ischislenii vremeni po mezhdunarodnoĭ sisteme chasovyh pojasov].Google Scholar
- Council of People’s Commissars. (1924, June 24). On the formation of the time service committee for at the main Russian astronomical observatory in Pulkovo [Ob uchrezhdenii komiteta sluzhby vremeni pri glavnoj rossijskoj astronomicheskoj observatorii v Pulkove].Google Scholar
- Evans-Pritchard, E. E. (1940). The Nuer: A description of the modes of livelihood and political institutions of a Nilotic people. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Fornäs, J. (2016). The mediatization of third-time tools: Culturalizing and historicizing temporality. International Journal of Communication, 10, 5213–5232.Google Scholar
- Ivashkina, D. (2015). Clock shifts in Europe and in Russia [Perevod chasov v Evrope i Rossii]. https://www.kp.ru/putevoditel/puteshestviya/perevod-chasov/. Accessed 21 May 2018.
- Just_Wah. (2014). Change of the time on October 26, 2014 or hit hard on sloppiness [Perevod vremeni 26 oktjabrja 2014 goda ili udarim trudom po razgil’djajstvu]. https://habr.com/post/239827/. Accessed 1 Dec 2018.
- Khrenov, L. S., & Golub, I. Y. (1989). Time and calendar [Vremja i kalendar’]. Moscow: Nauka.Google Scholar
- Markevich. (1938). MGU. Izvestija, 21(6488), 4.Google Scholar
- Microsoft Support. (2014). A September 2014 time zone update for Russia is available. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2998527/a-september-2014-time-zone-update-for-russia-is-available. Accessed 1 Dec 2018.
- New set of the speaking clocks [Novyj Komplekt “Govorjashhih chasov”]. (1938). Izvestija, 2(2 (6469)), 4.Google Scholar
- Paperny, V. (2002). Architecture in the age of Stalin. Culture two. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Pentzold, C. (2018). Between moments and millennia: Temporalising mediatisation. Media, Culture and Society, 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163443717752814.
- Peters, J. D. (2013). Calendar, clock, tower. In J. Stolow (Ed.), Deus in machina: Religion, technology, and the things in between (pp. 25–43). New York: Fordham University Press.Google Scholar
- Russian Federation. (2011). Federal law. On calculating time [Ob ischislenii vremeni]. 3 June 2011.Google Scholar
- Russian Federation. (2014). Federal Law. On adding modifications to the federal law on calculating time [O vnesenii izmenenii v Federalniy zakon Ob ischislenii vremeni]. 21 July 2014.Google Scholar
- TASS. (2014, October 21). FSO will ensure the turn of clock hands on the Kremlin tower for a new time [FSO obespechit perevod strelok na bashne Kremlja na novoe vremja]. http://tass.ru/obschestvo/1522075. Accessed 1 Dec 2018.
- Vesti. (2009). The President proposed to reduce the number of time zones in Russia [Prezident predlozhil sokratit’ kolichestvo chasovyh pojasov v RF]. https://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=325405. Accessed 1 Dec 2018.