Headache in the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) Studies
The significance of the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) studies for recognition of headache as a major public-health concern cannot be overrated.
GBD aims to provide a scientific basis for prioritizations of health investments, decoupling these decisions from professional and commercial interests. It measures disease burden in time units: as years of life lost (YLLs) to a disease (through early mortality), as years of life lived with disability (YLDs), and as the sum of these, expressed as disability-adjusted life years (DALYs). YLDs are estimated as the number of years lived with a disorder (or with a health state attributable to it) multiplied by a disability weight (DW) for that disorder (or health state). YLDs are highly relevant to headache disorders whereas YLLs are not.
Through extensive mathematical modelling, GBD can make use of a wide range of data, allowing estimation of disease prevalence and burden for each gender and all age groups, for all major world regions, nations and, sometimes, areas within countries, for the years from 1990 until 2017 (so far).
GBD is now updated annually. In GBD2016, migraine affected more than one billion people globally, caused 45 million YLDs and was the second most disabling condition worldwide. Among young adults (under 50 years of age), it was the most disabling. Tension-type headache affected 1.9 billion people but, owing to its much lower DW, was estimated to cause only seven million YLDs.
KeywordsHeadache Global burden of disease (GBD) Years lived with disability (YLD) Years of life lost (YLL) Disability-adjusted life years (DALY) Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME)
- 1.World Health Organization. The World Health Report 2001. Chapter 2. Burden of mental and behavioural disorders; 2001, pp 19–45. http://www.who.int/whr/2001/en/index.html.
- 2.Stovner LJ, Nichols E, Steiner TJ, Abd-Allah F, Abdelalim A, Al-Raddadi RM, Ansha MG, Barac A, Bensenor IM, Doan LP, Edessa D, Endres M, Foreman KJ, Gankpe FG, Gururaj G, Goulart AC, Gupta R, Hankey GJ, Hay SI, Hegazy MI, Hilawe EH, Kasaeian A, Kassa DH, Khalil I, Khang Y-H, Khubchandani J, Kim YJ, Kokubo Y, Mohammed MA, Moradi-Lakeh M, Nguyen HLT, Nirayo YL, Qorbani M, Ranta A, Roba KT, Safiri S, Santos IS, Satpathy M, Sawhney M, Shiferaw MS, Shiue I, Smith M, Szoeke CEI, Truong NT, Venketasubramanian N, Weldegwergs KG, Westerman R, Wijeratne T, Xuan Tran B, Yonemoto N, Feigin VL, Vos T, Murray CJL. Global, regional, and national burden of migraine and tension-type headache, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. Lancet Neurol. 2018;17:954–76.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Mather C, Bernard CS, Iburg KM, Inoue M, Fat DM, Shibuya K, Stein CM, Tomijima T, Xu H. Global burden of disease in 2002: data sources, methods and results. Global Programme on Evidence for Health Policy discussion paper no 54. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2004. https://www.who.int/healthinfo/paper54.pdf.Google Scholar
- 5.Leonardi M, Mathers C. Global burden of migraine in the Year 2000: summary of methods and data sources; 2000. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/bod_migraine.pdf.
- 7.Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society. Classification and diagnostic criteria for headache disorders, cranial neuralgias and facial pain. Cephalalgia. 1988;8(Suppl 7):1–96.Google Scholar
- 10.Salomon JA, Vos T, Hogan DR, Gagnon M, Naghavi M, Mokdad A, Begum N, Shah R, Karyana M, Kosen S, Farje MR, Moncada G, Dutta A, Sazawal S, Dyer A, Seiler J, Aboyans V, Baker L, Baxter A, Benjamin EJ, Bhalla K, Bin Abdulhak A, Blyth F, Bourne R, Braithwaite T, Brooks P, Brugha TS, Bryan-Hancock C, Buchbinder R, Burney P, Calabria B, Chen H, Chugh SS, Cooley R, Criqui MH, et al. Common values in assessing health outcomes from disease and injury: disability weights measurement study for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet. 2012;380:2129–43.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Stovner LJ, Al Jumah M, Birbeck GL, Gururaj G, Jensen R, Katsarava Z, Queiroz LP, Scher AI, Tekle-Haimanot R, Wang SJ, Steiner TJ. The methodology of population surveys of headache prevalence, burden and cost: principles and recommendations from the Global Campaign against Headache. J Headache Pain. 2014;15:5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Vos T, Abajobir AA, Abate KH, Abbafati C, Abbas KM, Abd-Allah F, Abdulkader RS, Abdulle AM, Abebo TA, Abera SF, Aboyans V, Abu-Raddad LJ, Ackerman IN, Adamu AA, Adetokunboh O, Afarideh M, Afshin A, Agarwal SK, Aggarwal R, Agrawal A, Agrawal S, Ahmadieh H, Ahmed MB, Aichour MTE, Aichour AN, Aichour I, Aiyar S, Akinyemi RO, Akseer N, Al Lami FH, Alahdab F, Al-Aly Z, Alam K, Alam N, Alam T, et al. Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 328 diseases and injuries for 195 countries, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. Lancet. 2017;390:1211–59.CrossRefGoogle Scholar