Methodology of Headache Measurement
This chapter builds on Chap. 6, discussing headache measurement in populations: prevalence estimation and quantification of burden. It describes the HARDSHIP questionnaire, an instrument developed specifically for enquiry into headache prevalence and headache-attributed burden in population-based studies. A very broad base of expert opinion contributed to its evolution and question choice. It has undergone testing in many cultures and settings, 20 countries and 19 languages.
HARDSHIP is a structured questionnaire which may be administered by medical or (more usually) trained lay interviewers. It has a modular design: separate question sets cover demographic characteristics, screen for caseness (headache disorder present or not), diagnose headache type and address each of the several quantifiable components of burden. This design renders it highly amenable to adaptation: any of the burden modules may be included or not, according to study purpose, time constraints, resources available and cultural sensitivities.
KeywordsHeadache disorders Epidemiology Population-based studies Prevalence Burden of disease Impact Cost of illness Global Campaign against Headache
- 5.Lifting The Burden. The Global Campaign against Headache. http://www.l-t-b.org.
- 6.Katsarava Z, Kukava M, Mirvelashvili E, Tavadze A, Dzagnidze A, Djibuti M, Steiner TJ. A pilot methodological validation study for a population-based survey of the prevalences of migraine, tension-type headache and chronic daily headache in the country of Georgia. J Headache Pain. 2007;8:77–82.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Andrée C, Stovner LJ, Steiner TJ, Barré J, Katsarava Z, Lainez JM, Lanteri-Minet M, Mick G, Rastenyte D, Ruiz de la Torre E, Tassorelli C, Vriezen P, Lampl C. The Eurolight project: the impact of primary headache disorders in Europe. Description of methods. J Headache Pain. 2011;12:541–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Stovner LJ, Al Jumah M, Birbeck GL, Gururaj G, Jensen R, Katsarava Z, Queiroz LP, Scher AI, Tekle-Haimanot R, Wang SJ, Steiner TJ. The methodology of population surveys of headache prevalence, burden and cost: principles and recommendations from the global campaign against headache. J Headache Pain. 2014;15:5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Steiner TJ, Gururaj G, Andrée C, Katsarava Z, Ayzenberg I, Yu SY, Al Jumah M, Tekle-Haimanot R, Birbeck GL, Herekar A, Linde M, Mbewe E, Manandhar K, Risal A, Jensen R, Queiroz LP, Scher AI, Wang SJ, Stovner LJ. Diagnosis, prevalence estimation and burden measurement in population surveys of headache: presenting the HARDSHIP questionnaire. J Headache Pain. 2014;15:3.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Classification Committee of the International Headache Society. The international classification of headache disorders, 3rd edition. Cephalalgia. 2018;38:1–211.Google Scholar
- 20.Steiner TJ, Lipton RB on behalf of Lifting The Burden: The Global Campaign against Headache. The Headache-Attributed Lost Time (HALT) indices: measures of burden for clinical management and population-based research. J Headache Pain. 2018;19:12.Google Scholar