Fintech Emergence and Global Evolution
Fintech is redefining the financial services customer journey. The digital era has unleashed a disruptive development and emergence across the financial industry allowing financial technology firms to attract previously “unbanked” people in emerging markets while holding already existing conventional bank customer. The fintech sector evolved after the global financial crisis in 2008, despite obstacles such as poor infrastructure and limited internet penetration. Fintech is a new generation of tech-savvy firms that are supported by disruptive technologies such as behavioural and transactional analytics, machine learning, big data, blockchain, biometrics, cloud and mobile. Fintech would allow conventional market participants to overhaul the old-fashioned procedures, operational model and their infrastructure which eventually renovates the end user experience. This chapter will explore the emergence and global evolution of fintech.
- A Euromoney News and Analytics Service. (2016). Fintech vs. Traditional Trade: Surviving the Digital Transition. Available at: www.tradefinanceanalytics.com. Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- Accenture. (2016a). Global Fintech Investment Growth Continues in 2016 Driven by Europe and Asia, Accenture Study Finds. Available at: www.accenture.com. Accessed 7 Nov 2018.
- Accenture. (2016b). The Future of FinTech and Banking. The FinTech Book. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119218906.part10.
- Alberts, J. E., Leighton, D. E., & Pryor, C. (2015). Criminalizing Free Enterprise: The Bank Secrecy Act and the Cryptocurrency Revolution, Litigation News and Analysis • Legislation • Regulation • Expert Commentary COMPUTER & INTERNET. Westlaw Journal. Available at: https://dgqoanz82argk.cloudfront.net/images/content/3/5/v2/35613/DOCS-1427214-v1-Criminalizing-Free-Enterprise.PDF.pdf. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- Ancri, C. (2017). Fintech Innovation: An Overview Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. Available at: https://www.cbinsights.com/blog/disrupting-banking-fintech-startups/. Accessed 7 Nov 2018.
- Arner, D. W. (2016). FinTech: Evolution and Regulation Overview Background. Available at: https://law.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/1978256/D-Arner-FinTech-Evolution-Melbourne-June-2016.pdf. Accessed 23 Nov 2018.
- Beck, T., & Cull, R. (2013). CSAE Working Paper WPS/2013–16 Banking in Africa, 44, pp. 1–44. Available at: www.csae.ox.ac.uk. Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- Bharadwaj, P., Jack, W., & Sur, T. (2018). Can Digital Loans Deliver? Take Up and Impacts of Digital Loans in Kenya ⇤. Available at: http://mitmgmtfaculty.mit.edu/tsuri/. Accessed 14 May 2019.
- Bridge, C., & Bullen, J. (2018). UK Global Leader for Fintech Investment in H1 2018. KPMG. Available at: https://home.kpmg/uk/en/home/media/press-releases/2018/07/uk-global-leader-for-fintech-investment-in-h1-2018-.html. Accessed 14 May 2019.
- Center Forward. (2018). FinTech and Its Role in the Future of Financial Services. Available at: https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/IN10492.html. Accessed 7 Nov 2018.
- Cherrayil, N. K. (2017). Fintech Sector to Grow by 270% in Middle East. Gulf News Tech. Available at: https://gulfnews.com/technology/fintech-sector-to-grow-by-270-in-middle-east-1.2140430. Accessed 14 May 2019.
- DeNederlandscheBank. (2015). Opportunities and Risks for Financial Institutions, New Market Participants and Supervision Technological Innovation and the Dutch Financial Sector. Available at: https://www.dnb.nl/en/binaries/Themaonderzoek uk_tcm47-336322.PDF. Accessed 15 Nov 2018.
- Desai, F. (2015). The Evolution of Fintech. Available at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/falgunidesai/2015/12/13/the-evolution-of-fintech/#6c26dc777175. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- EY. (2015). Banking in Asia-Pacific—Size Matters and Digital Drives Competition. Available at: https://www.ey.com/au/en/industries/financial-services/banking%2D%2D-capital-markets/ey-banking-agenda-issue-2-2015-banking-in-asia-pacific. Accessed 14 May 2019.
- Gould, E. (2016). Africa’s Big Banks Are Betting on Fintech Startups and Bitcoin to Beat Disruption. Quartz. Available at: https://qz.com/africa/618674/africas-big-banks-are-betting-on-fintech-startups-and-bitcoin-to-beat-disruption/. Accessed 14 May 2019.
- Holland, G. (2018). The New Dawn: How the Rise of Fintech Is Transforming the Middle East. tahawultech.com. Available at: https://www.tahawultech.com/features/fintech-middle-east/. Accessed 14 May 2019.
- International Finance Corporation World Bank Group. (2013). IFC Mobile Money Scoping Country Report: Bangladesh. Available at: https://www.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/c5a33c80407b90ef90b990cdd0ee9c33/Bangladesh+Scoping+Report+051513_final_publication.pdf?MOD=AJPERES. Accessed 14 May 2019.
- International Finance Corporation World Bank Group. (2017). How Fintech Is Reaching the Poor in Africa and Asia: A Start-Up Perspective. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/832341492592362552/pdf/114396-BRI-EmCompass-Note-34-DFS-and-FinTech-Mar-28-PUBLIC.pdf, http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/832341492592362552/How-Fintech-is-reaching-the-poor-in-Africa-and-Asia-a-start-up-perspective
- Kantox. (2014). The Rise of Fintech in Finance. Available at: https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/310641/file-1445626583-pdf/Rise_of_Fintech_in_Finance/Fintech_DEF.pdf. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- KPMG in India. (2016). Fintech in India—A Global Growth Story. Available at: https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/pdf/2016/06/FinTech-new.pdf. Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- Lynn, R. (2014). How FutureAdvisor Plans to Shake Up Wealth Management. FORTUNE. Available at: http://fortune.com/tag/rebecca-lynn/. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- Miller, K. (2018). Global Fintech Investment Soars to Record US$57B in First Half of 2018: KPMG Pulse of Fintech Report. KPMG | GLOBAL. Available at: https://home.kpmg/xx/en/home/media/press-releases/2018/07/global-fintech-investment-soars-to-record-us57b.html. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- Miranda, W. (2015). Fintech Is a Revolution—So Get Involved. UK Investor Magazine. Available at: https://ukinvestormagazine.co.uk/fintech-is-a-revolution-so-get-involved/. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- Mutiga, M. (2014). Kenya’s Banking Revolution Lights a Fire. New York Times. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/21/opinion/kenyas-banking-revolution-lights-a-fire.html. Accessed 14 May 2019.
- Rogers, J., & Wilson, P. (2014). Old Laws, New Models: UK Regulation of FinTech. Tayler Wessing LLP. Available at: https://www.taylorwessing.com/download/article_uk_reg_fintech.html. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- Sanicola, L. (2017, February 13). What Is FinTech? HuffPost. Available at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/what-is-fintech_us_58a20d80e4b0cd37efcfebaa. Accessed 7 Nov 2018.
- Schulz, G. (2006). Top 10 Ways to Secure Your Stored Data. Computerworld. Available at: https://www.computerworld.com/article/2546352/top-10-ways-to-secure-your-stored-data.html. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- Tasca, P. et al. (2016). Banking Beyond Banks and Money a Guide to Banking Services in the Twenty-First Century. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1109/FAS-W.2016.53.
- The Economist. (2016). Mobile Phones Are Transforming Africa—Continental Disconnect. The Economist. Available at: https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2016/12/10/mobile-phones-are-transforming-africa. Accessed 14 May 2019.
- Touzel, J. et al. (2016). Digital Banking: From Revolution to Evolution. Available at: https://www.digitalfrontiersinstitute.org/resources/item/tlt-digital-banking-from-revolution-to-evolution. Accessed 6 Nov 2018.
- Villasenor, J. (2016). Ensuring Cybersecurity in Fintech: Key Trends and Solutions. Forbes. Available at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnvillasenor/2016/08/25/ensuring-cybersecurity-in-fintech-key-trends-and-solutions/#47c1369035fd. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- Vodafone. (2016). Vodafone M-Pesa Reaches 25 Million Customers Milestone. Vodafone.com. Available at: https://www.vodafone.com/content/index/media/vodafone-group-releases/2016/mpesa-25million.html. Accessed 14 May 2019.
- World Bank. (2018). Financial Inclusion on the Rise, but Gaps Remain, Global Findex Database Shows. The World Bank. Available at: https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2018/04/19/financial-inclusion-on-the-rise-but-gaps-remain-global-findex-database-shows. Accessed 14 May 2019.