Change Outside of the Therapeutic Encounter
Social privilege and disadvantage reflect the differential life chances for members of some groups relative to others. The social, economic, and political structures reinforce these advantages and disadvantages. Social norms are evidenced and sustained by perceptions and treatment of others. Counselors and psychotherapists may engage in activities outside of the therapeutic encounter that promotes access to local resources and community building through case networking, outreach, and advocacy. Group work that has a community-building purpose beyond the therapy itself can be one means by which to reduce isolation and increase social support. Social action is an umbrella category for a wide range of efforts for making community change. Social change efforts occur as a series of steps. The steps include preparation, organization, momentum building, as well as taking and sustaining action.
- Business Insider. (2017). Retrieved from www.businessinsider.com/how-the-metoo-movement-started-where-its-headed-tarana-burke-time-person-of-year-women-2017–12.
- Canadian Press. (2017). Thousands across Canada rally in support of Women’s March on Washington. Retrieved from https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/events-organized-across-canada-to-support-washington-womens-march/article33696331/.
- CTV. (2018). ‘We have to do better’: Trudeau reacts to Gerald Stanley verdict. Retrieved from https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/we-have-to-do-better-trudeau-reacts-to-gerald-stanley-verdict-1.3798036.
- Damon, W., Callon, C., Wiebe, L., Small, W., Kerr, T., & McNeil, R. (2017). Community-based participatory research in a heavily researched inner city neighbourhood: Perspectives of people who use drugs on their experiences as peer researchers. Social Science and Medicine, 176, 85–92.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fook, J. (1993). Radical casework: A theory of practice. St Leonards, NSW, Australia: Allen & Unwin.Google Scholar
- Globe and Mail. (2018a). How the justice system let race taint the Stanley verdict. Retrieved from https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/how-the-justice-system-let-race-taint-the-stanley-verdict/article37931748/.
- Globe and Mail. (2018b). Retrieved from www.theglobeandmail.com/news/investigations/unfounded-37272-sexual-assault-cases-being-reviewed-402-unfounded-cases-reopened-so-far/article37245525/.
- Green, G. P., & Haines, A. (2015). Asset building & community development. Los Angeles: Sage.Google Scholar
- Hepworth, D. H., Rooney, R. H., Rooney, G. D., Strom-Gottfried, K., & Larson, J. (2006). Direct social work practice: Theory and skills. Belmont, CA: Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Jozaghi, E. (2015). The role of peer drug users’ social networks and harm reduction programs in changing the dynamics of life for people who use drugs in the downtown eastside of Vancouver, Canada (Doctoral dissertation). Arts and Social Sciences.Google Scholar
- Lee, S. (2007). Making decisions: The independent mental capacity advocacy service. London, UK: Mental Capacity Implementation Program.Google Scholar
- Przybyla, H. (2017). Women’s march an ‘entry point’ for a new activist wave. Retrieved from https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/05/womens-march-searches-themes-amid-concern-trump-gop-congress/96199000/.
- Rogers, A., & Pilgrim, D. (2014). A sociology of mental health and illness. London: McGraw-Hill Education.Google Scholar
- Tatum, B. D. (2001). Defining racism: Can we talk. In P. S. Rothenberg (Ed.), Race, Class, and Gender in the United States: An integrated Study (pp. 100, 107). New York: Worth Publishers.Google Scholar
- The Guardian. (2018). Retrieved from www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/15/me-too-founder-tarana-burke-women-sexual-assault.