Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasonography of the Liver
Contrast-enhanced ultrasonography is a relatively new imaging technique that can be successfully used for the diagnosis and surveillance of liver lesions, among other important roles. The real-time examination possibility and its excellent safety profile represent unique features that make this procedure a highly valuable one. As this technique becomes more widely available, it is of extreme importance that specialists in the field of hepatology understand its clinical applications and capabilities, as well as its disadvantages and limitations. This chapter aims to provide a basic understanding of contrast-enhanced ultrasonography, focusing on its applications in liver imaging.
KeywordsContrast-enhanced ultrasonography Benign tumors of the liver Hepatocellular carcinoma Portal vein thrombosis
- 4.SonoVue. Assessment Report. European Medicines Agency; 2017.Google Scholar
- 5.Park JH, et al. Contrast-enhanced US with Perfluorobutane (Sonazoid) used as a surveillance test for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in cirrhosis (SCAN): an exploratory cross-sectional study for a diagnostic trial. BMC Cancer. 2017;17(1):279. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-017-3267-8.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.Claudon M, Dietrich CF, et al. Guidelines and good clinical practice recommendations for contrast enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) in the liver – update 2012 a WFUMB-EFSUMB initiative in cooperation with representatives of AFSUMB, AIUM, ASUM, FLAUS and ICUS. Ultraschall in Med. 2013;34:11–29.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Quaia E, De Paoli L, Angileri R, Cabibbo B, Cova MA. Indeterminate solid hepatic lesions identified on non-diagnostic contrast-enhanced computed tomography: assessment of the additional diagnostic value of contrast-enhanced ultrasound in the noncirrhotic liver. Eur J Radiol. 2014;83:456–62.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Piscaglia F, Wilson SR, Lyshchik A, Cosgrove D, Dietrich CF, Jang HJ, et al. American College of Radiology contrast enhanced ultrasound liver imaging reporting and data system (CEUS LI-RADS) for the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: a pictorial essay. Ultraschall Med. 2017;38:320–4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar