Classifying Difficulty Levels of Programming Questions on HackerRank
In recent times, there is a surge of job opportunities in the IT industry leading to increased skill improvement platforms for computer programming. While the problem setter may provide an indicative difficulty level, the actual level of difficulty faced is subjective to who is attempting the problem. Research indicates that right choice of problems to solve on a learning track boosts the motivation levels of the student and helps in better learning. In this paper we provide a framework to auto classify programming problems on online coding practice platforms into easy, medium, and hard based on attempt statistics for each problem.
KeywordsDifficulty level Prediction Programmers Instructor’s
- 1.Joshi S (2004) Tertiary sector-driven growth in India: impact on employmentGoogle Scholar
- 2.Chowdhury T, Rafiq Ullah A, Maqsud Ul Anwar MD (2017) A non-classical approach to recommender system for competitive programmers. Doctoral dissertation, BRAC UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 3.Teodorescu RE, Seaton DT, Cardamone CN, Rayyan S, Abbott JE, Barrantes A, Pawl A, Pritchard DE (2012, February) When students can choose easy, medium, or hard homework problems. In: AIP conference proceedings, vol 1413, no 1, pp 81–84Google Scholar
- 5.Lee FL, Heyworth R (2000) Problem complexity: a measure of problem difficulty in algebra by using computer. Educ J-Hong Kong-Chin Univ Hong Kong 28(1):85–108Google Scholar
- 6.Ramakrishna Murty M, Murthy JVR, Prasad Reddy PVGD (2011) Text document classification based on a least square support vector machines with singular value decomposition. Int J Comput Appl (IJCA) 27(7):21–26. https://doi.org/10.5120/3312-4540, [impact factor 0.821, 2012]