Cytopathology Laboratory Management
This chapter covers topics from regulation and accreditation (CLIA88, HIPPA, CMS, CAP) to staffing and credentialing requirements, and responsibilities of various roles from section director to general supervisor and cytotechnologist. Workload limits, proficiency testing, and continuing education requirements are also discussed. Topics include policies and procedures, document control, workflow, reporting elements, quality assurance, data, statistics, and safety.
KeywordsCytotechnologist Workload limits PAP proficiency testing CLIA CAP QC
- 1.American Society of Cytopathology. Cervical cytology practice guideline. Quality control and quality assurance practices. 2000. www.cytopathology.org.
- 2.American Society of Cytopathology. Non-gynecological cytology practice guideline. 2004. www.cytopathology.org.
- 3.Cibas ES. Laboratory management. In: Ducatman BS, Cibas ES, editors. Cytology: diagnostic principles and clinical correlates. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2014. p. 519–44.Google Scholar
- 4.Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988; Final Rule. Federal Register. Feb 28 1992; 57: 493.1483.Google Scholar
- 5.College of American Pathologists. Cytopathology checklist 08.17.2016. Northfield, IL. 2016. www.cap.org.
- 6.College of American Pathologists. All common checklist 08.17.2016. Northfield, IL. 2016. www.cap.org.
- 7.College of American Pathologists. Laboratory general checklist 08.17.2016. Northfield, IL. 2016. www.cap.org.
- 8.Garcia LS, Bachman P, editors. Clinical laboratory management. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: American Society of Microbiology; 2013.Google Scholar
- 9.Harmening D. Laboratory management: principles and processes. 3rd ed. St. Petersburg: D H Publishing & Consulting; 2013.Google Scholar
- 11.Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Laboratory safety guidance. US Department of Labor: OSHA 3404-11R. 2011. www.osha.gov.
- 12.Occupational Safety and Health Administration. OSHA fact sheet: chemical hygiene plan. 2011. www.osha.gov.
- 13.Occupational Safety and Health Administration. OSHA fact sheet: OSHA Laboratory standard 29 CFR 1910-140. 2011. www.osha.gov.