Computer Aided Design of Customized Implants Based on CT-Scan Data and Virtual Prototypes
Personal implants for reconstruction of craniofacial harms become more and more important due to their better performance than modelling titanium mesh or alloplastic material during surgical operation. This is due to the good fit in the implant area, reduced surgical time and better cosmetic results. The creating of such implants is a challenging task. In this article structured process workflow with clearly defined steps was introduced. All of the steps were evaluated with solving of clinical case. In this first article the reconstruction from CT-data and 3D modelling of custom implants for the purpose of cranioplasty were reviewed in details.
KeywordsVirtual engineering CT-scan 3D modelling Custom implants CAD/CAM surgery Reconstructive surgical procedure
This work has been supported by the National Science Fund of Bulgaria under the Project DH-17-23 “Developing an approach for bone reconstruction and implant manufacturing through virtual engineering tools”.
- 1.Parthasarathy, J.: 3D modeling, custom implants and its future perspectives in craniofacial surgery. Ann. Maxillofac. Surg. 4(1), 9–18 (2014). Department of Engineering, Director Engineering MedCAD Inc. Dallas TX 75226, USAGoogle Scholar
- 4.Lane, J.M., Sandhu, H.S.: Current approaches to experimental bone grafting. Orthop. Clin. North Am. 18, 213–225 (1987)Google Scholar
- 5.St John, T.A., et al.: Physical and monetary costs associated with autogenous bone graft harvesting. Am. J. Orthop. (Belle Mead NJ) 32, 18–23 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Parthasarathy, J., Parthiban, J.K.: TP08PUB117 Lake Buena Vista, FL, USA: Society of Manufacturing Engineers. Rapid Prototyping in Custom Fabrication of Titanium Mesh Implants for Large Cranial Defects. RAPID, 20–22 May 2008Google Scholar
- 8.Connell, H., Statham, P., Collie, D., Walker, F., Moos, K.: Use of a template for custom cranioplasty. Phidias EC Funded Netw. Proj. Rapid Prototyp. Med. 2, 7–8 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Lee, M.Y., Chang, C.C., Lin, C.C., Lo, L.J., Chen, Y.R.: Custom implant design for patients with cranial defects. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Mag. 21, 38–44 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Mimics Lesson 2: Basic. https://www.researchgate.net/file.PostFileLoader.html?id=5686aa597dfbf9d5458b458b&assetKey=AS%3A313124089991168%401451666008906. Accessed 08 May 2017