Spatial Multiplexing MIMO 5G-SDR Open Testbed Implementation
Future 5G networks will demand high increases in capacity which are not acquirable by existing 4G implementations. The objective of this paper is to propose an open testbed solution in order to perform applied studies for 5G New Radio, using SDR, optimal parameter configuration, vendor equipment benchmarking, real life consistent tests for radio equipment behavior and create the possibility to extend the current platform to be able to accommodate future technical needs. GNU Radio, provides the opportunity to create software-defined radios based on virtual signal processing blocks using low-cost external RF hardware or simulation-like environment. This offers the opportunity to telecom mobile operators to set up the networks at the highest capabilities and also to have a clear vision before making strong investments in new equipment.
Keywords5G SDR MIMO Massive-MIMO Testbed New Radio Embedded GNU Radio Case studies Benchmarking IoT RF
This work was supported by UEFISCDI through contract no. 5Sol/2017, PNCDI III, Integrated Software Platform for Mobile Malware Analysis (ToR-SIM).
- 1.Darbari, F., Stewart, R.W., Glover, I.A.: MIMO Channel Modelling, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom, pp. 7–12 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Dohler, M.: Virtual Antenna Arrays, University of London (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Brown, T., Carvalho, E., Kyritsi, P.: Practical Guide to the MIMO Radio Channel. Wiley, Hoboken (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Sankar, K.: MIMO with zero forcing equalizer (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Linder, S., Eriksson, G., Wiklundh, K.: Evaluation of transmit diversity and spatial multiplexing for MIMO systems in an urban peer-to-peer scenario. Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.GNU Radio. https://www.gnuradio.org/docs/. Accessed 10 Jan 2019
- 7.Ettus, M.: Universal software radio peripheral. http://www.ettus.com. Accessed 15 Jan 2019
- 9.National Instruments. http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52382/en/. Accessed 15 Jan 2019
- 10.Ghosh, A.: http://www.5gsummit.org/hawaii/docs/slides/Amitava-Ghosh.pdf. Accessed 10 Dec 2018
- 11.3GPP, Release 16. http://www.3gpp.org/release-16. Accessed 15 Jan 2019