Low-Power Intelligent Displaying System with Indoor Mobile Location Capability
Modern buildings require different IT facilities, therefore integrated communication services have become a must. Although there are already commercial products on the market, most of them need well trained operators, while others require manual and time-consuming operations. The present paper introduces an intelligent displaying and alerting system (SICIAD), implemented over a communication infrastructure with support for wireless ePaper and iBeacon technologies to enhance displaying static and dynamic information, as well as to ease the indoor orientation of guests using smartphones. An Android mobile application is developed which enables indoor user location and guidance. Possible beneficiaries of such systems are educational and research institutions due to remote authentication support in research facilities through Eduroam technology. The paper gives functional validation and performance evaluation aspects are presented for the indoor positioning component of the proposed system.
KeywordsePaper iBeacon Alerting system Indoor positioning Low power display
This work has been funded by UEFISCDI Romania under grant no. 60BG/2016 “Intelligent communications system based on integrated infrastructure, with dynamic display and alerting - SICIAD”, and partially funded by grants no. 270CI ⁄ 2018 Intelligent Hive Colony Monitoring System- SIMCA, project number 33PCCDI/2018 within PNCDI III, SmartAgro (contract no. 8592/2018), and contract no. 5Sol/2017, PNCDI III, Integrated Software Platform for Mobile Malware Analysis (ToR-SIM).
Engineer CALIN Mihai-Catalin contributed to this work, during the preparation of his master thesis.
- 1.The technology behind LANCOM Wireless ePaper Displays. https://www.lancomsystems.com/fileadmin/download/reference_story/PDF/Wireless_ePaper_Solution_at_a_private_college,_Germany_EN.pdf. Accessed on 14 Aug 2018
- 2.Lancom Wireless ePaper Displays Specification sheet. https://www.lancomsystems.com/fileadmin/produkte/lc_wireless_epaper_displays/LANCOM-Wireless-ePaperDisplays-EN.pdf. Accessed on 14 Aug 2018
- 3.Sykes, S. Pentland, S., Nardi, S.: Context-aware mobile apps using iBeacons: towards smarter interactions. In: Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering, 2015, pp. 120–129 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Vulpe, A., Vochin, M., Boicescu, L., Suciu, G.: Intelligent low-power displaying and alerting infrastructure for secure institutional networks. In: Fratu, O., Militaru, N., Halunga, S. (eds) Future Access Enablers for Ubiquitous and Intelligent Infrastructures. FABULOUS 2017. Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, vol 241. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-92213-3_21Google Scholar
- 5.Vochin, M., Vulpe, A., Suciu, G., Boicescu, L.: Intelligent displaying and alerting system based on an integrated communications infrastructure and low-power technology. In: WorldCist 2017 - 5th World Conference on Information Systems and Technologies, 2017, pp. 135–141 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Boicescu, L., Vochin, M., Vulpe, A., Suciu, G.: Intelligent Low-Power Displaying and Alerting Infrastructure for Smart Buildings. In: Rocha, Á., Adeli, H., Reis, L.P., Costanzo, S. (eds.) WorldCIST’18 2018. AISC, vol. 747, pp. 136–145. Springer, Cham (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77700-9_14CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.https://www.lancom-systems.com/products/wireless-lan/wireless-epaper-ibeacon/lancom-ln-830e-fi/. Accessed on 16 Aug 2018
- 8.https://www.lancom-systems.com/products/wireless-lan/lancom-l-151e-wireless/. Accessed on 18 Aug 2018