Improved Remote Control System for Analog Audio Mixers Featuring Internet of Things Elements
Music is often found in people’s lives, as a form of relaxation and inspiration. Small or medium concert venues use analog audio mixers to process the audio signals produced by each instrument and by the singer to deliver a pleasant sound to the audience. The problem is that the position of the mixer is, in most cases, on the stage or in a corner of the hall. This way the sound that the sound engineer hears will not be the same as what the audience hears. His place should be in public for a qualitative assessment of sound. Analog mixers cannot be controlled remotely, and the current alternative involves the replacement with a new and expensive digital audio mixer. The paper presents a cost-effective system that can be attached to any analog audio mixer, allowing to remote control main parameters like the attenuation of each signal. The remote control is a smartphone application, allowing easy further development and connectivity. The system was implemented, tested and the results and performances are presented in the paper, along with the details about the developed custom remote-to-mixer synchronous communication.
KeywordsAudio signal Analog mixer Synchronous communication IoT
This work was supported by a grant of the Ministry of Innovation and Research, UEFISCDI, project number 33PCCDI/01.03.2018 within PNCDI III, Platform of multi-agent intelligent systems for water quality monitoring on Romanian sector of Danube and Danube Delta (MultiMonD2).
- 1.Copîndean, R., Holonec, R., Drăgan, F.: Audio Mixer Ordered Microcontroller, vol. 56. Acta Electrotehnica, Cluj-Napoca (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Bermúdez-Ortega, J., Besada-Portas, E.A., López-Orozco, J., de la Cruz, J.M.: A new open-source and smart-device accessible remote-control laboratory. In: 4th Experiment@International Conference (exp.at’17), Faro, pp. 143–144 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Chueh, T.F., Fanjiang, Y.Y.: Universal remote control on smartphone. In: 2012 International Symposium on Computer, Consumer and Control, Taichung, pp. 658–661 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Sethi, S., Kaur, P., Ahuja, S.: A new weighted audio mixing algorithm for a multipoint processor in a VoIP conferencing system. In: 2014 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), pp. 295–300 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Marcu, A.E., Vlădescu, M., Dobre, R.A.: Cost effective remote control system for analog audio mixers. In: 2018 IEEE 24th International Symposium for Design and Technology in Electronic Packaging (SIITME), pp. 280–283 (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Drumea, A.: Low power aspects of a microcontroller-based module with wireless communication. In: Proceedings of 23rd IEEE International Symposium for Design and Technology in Electronic Packaging (SIITME 2017), Constanța, pp. 134–137 (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Texas Instruments datasheet. LM317 3-Terminal Adjustable Regulator, Revision X (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Texas Instruments datasheet: LM1971 Overture™ Audio Attenuator Series Digitally Controlled 62 dB Audio Attenuator with/Mute, Revision B (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Texas Instruments datasheet: LMx58-N Low-Power, Dual-Operational Amplifiers, Revision I (2013)Google Scholar