Successful Experience Report: Design and Development of a Temporary Shelter Management Course in Brazil
This work aims to develop a Temporary Shelter Management course for the Brazilian context. It was carried out by a multidisciplinary group, led by members of OFDA, using the method of Course Design and Development and Interactive Teaching. The resulting proposal aims to qualify professionals to work in disaster response.
KeywordsExperience report Course development Temporary shelter
Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance and United States Agency for International Development—USAID/OFDA, responsible for the development of the course; Brazilian Red Cross of Brasília—CVBB, for the support; and CAPES, for the support with a doctorate scholarship.
- 1.Bedoya, F.: Hábitat transitório y vivenda para emergências, pp. 145–166. Colombia, Tábula Rasa (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Brazil. Justice ministry. National Secretariat of Justice. National Committee for Refugees—CONARE.: Refúgio em números. CONARE, Brasília, (2018). Available at http://www.acnur.org/portugues/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/refugio-em-numeros_1104.pdf. Accessed date 20 June 2018
- 3.Brazil.: Law nº 8.742, dezember 7, 1993. Organic Law of Social Assistance—LOAS. Dispõe sobre a organização da Assistência Social e dá outras providências. Diário Oficial [da] República Federativa do Brasil, Poder Executivo, Brasília, DFGoogle Scholar
- 4.Brazil. Ministry of National Integration. National Secretariat of Protection and Civil Defense. Department of Disaster Minimization.: Módulo de formação: elaboração de plano de contingência—apostila do aluno. DF, Brasília (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Mendonça, H.: Com 40.000 venezuelanos em Roraima, Brasil acorda para sua ‘crise de refugiados’. El País, São Paulo, 18 fev. 2018. Available at https://brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2018/02/16/politica/1518736071_492585.html. Accessed date 10 June 2018
- 6.Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance. United States Agency for International Development—USAID/OFDA.: Technical Assistance and Training Program. 2013. Capacitación para instructores: material de referencia—CPI. USAID/OFDA-LAC: United States. Available at https://scms.usaid.gov/sites/default/files/documents/1866/CPI2013MR30102013.pdf. Accessed date 3 July 2018
- 7.Schramm (Coord), D., Thompson (Coord)., P.: First international emergency settlement conference: new approaches to new realities. University of Wisconsin. Disaster Management Center. Department of Engineering Professional Development, Wisconsin, Madison, U.S (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Secretary of State for Civil Defense of Rio de Janeiro—SEDEC, RJ.: Administração para Abrigos Temporários. SEDEC/RJ, Rio de Janeiro (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.University Center for Research and Disaster Studies of the Federal University of Santa Catarina (CEPED/UFSC).: Atlas Brasileiro de Desastres Naturais: 1991 a 2012, 2nd edn. Florianópolis, CEPED/UFSC (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees—UNHCR.: UN agency for refugees. 2018. Available at http://www.acnur.org/. Accessed date 10 June 2018
- 12.United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction—UNISDR.: Strategic Framework 2016–2021. United Nations, Geneva (2017). Available at https://www.unisdr.org/we/inform/publications/51557. Accessed date 15 June 2018