Some Effects of Basic Income on Economic Variables
Desai and Palermo discuss the effects of Basic Income on selected economic variables. The discussion has a theoretical basis and uses a microeconomic approach. The effects that the chapter studies concern both individual and aggregated perspectives. Consumption at the individual level, paid work, unpaid work, and leisure, belong to the first group; and aggregated consumption, Gross Domestic Product, and income distribution, belong to the second. The chapter discusses which effects a Basic Income funded by a labour income tax would have, and which an externally financed Basic Income would have, on some aspects of these variables. A classification of Basic Incomes at three different levels is used to guide the analysis: the ‘partial’, the ‘freedom-enhancing’, and the ‘emancipatory’ Basic Incomes.
- Barr, N. A. (2004). The economics of the welfare state (4th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Corrales, J. P., & Mejia, W. B. (2009). The relevance of Duesenberry consumption theory: An applied case to Latin America. Revista De Economía Del Caribe, No. 4 (July). http://www.scielo.org.co/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S2011-21062009000200002. Accessed 5 Mar 2019.
- Desai, M. (1998). A Basic Income proposal. In R. Skidelsky (Ed.), The state of the future (pp. 103–132). London: Social Market Foundation.Google Scholar
- Duesenberry, J. S. (1949). Income, saving, and the theory of consumer behavior. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Jordan, B. (2010). Basic Income and social value. Basic Income Studies, 5(2). https://doi.org/10.2202/1932-0183.1140.
- Klein, L. R. (1965). Stocks and flows in the theory of interest. In F. H. Hahn & F. P. R. Brechling (Eds.), The theory of interest rates (pp. 136–151). London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Meade, J. E. (1989). Agathotopia: The economics of partnership. Aberdeen: Aberdeen University Press.Google Scholar
- Nikiforos, M., Steinbaum, M., & Zezza, G. (2017). Modelling the macroeconomic effects of a Universal Basic Income. Roosevelt Institute. http://rooseveltinstitute.org/modeling-macroeconomic-effects-ubi/. Accessed 26 Jan 2019.
- Suplicy, E. M. (2000). Um diálogo com Milton Friedman sobre o Imposto de Renda Negativo. https://basicincome.org/bien/pdf/2000Suplicy2.pdf. Accessed 26 Jan 2019.
- Torry, M. (2017). A variety of indicators evaluated for two implementation methods for a citizen’s basic income (Euromod Working Paper EM 12/17). https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/research/publications/working-papers/euromod/em12-17.pdf. Accessed 26 Jan 2019.