Factors That Influence the Brazilian Ethos Regarding Animals
The author deals with certain historical, sociocultural, and economic aspects that supposedly influence the Brazilian ethos regarding the morality of the treatment of animals. The first of these is the legacy of the Brazilian slave-owning past. The second characteristic is the strong presence of emotivity and passion in Brazilian popular psychology and how this affects public debates in Brazil. The third factor is the absence of the habit of engaging in social protest in favor of ethics and worthy causes. The fourth trait is the influence of Catholic doctrine in the country. The last point is the impact of adverse social circumstances on the moral desensitization of the population to the situation of animals—especially commonplace violence, social exclusion, and poverty in Brazil.
KeywordsBrazilian morality Animal ethics Animal rights Speciesism Brazil
- Ação Educativa; Instituto Paulo Montenegro. 2018. INAF. http://acaoeducativa.org.br/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Inaf2018_Relat%C3%B3rio-Resultados-Preliminares_v08Ago2018.pdf. Accessed 20 December 2018 (in Portuguese).
- DIEESE. 2013. O emprego doméstico no Brasil. https://www.dieese.org.br/estudosetorial/2013/estPesq68empregoDomestico.pdf. Accessed 20 December 2018 (in Portuguese).
- European Environmental Agency. 2011. Europe’s florest at a glance. https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/europes-forests-at-a-glance. Accessed 20 December 2018.
- G1. 2018. Monitor da Violência. https://g1.globo.com/monitor-da-violencia/noticia/brasil-registra-quase-60-mil-pessoas-assassinadas-em-2017.ghtml. Accessed 20 December 2018 (in Portuguese).
- Global Witness. 2017. At what cost? https://www.globalwitness.org/en/campaigns/environmental-activists/defenders-annual-report. Accessed 20 December 2018.
- IBGE. 2018. Síntese de Indicadores Sociais. https://biblioteca.ibge.gov.br/visualizacao/livros/liv101629.pdf. Accessed 20 December 2018 (in Portuguese).
- International Labour Office. 2013. Domestic workers across the world: Global and regional statistics and the extent of legal protection. https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/—dgreports/—dcomm/—publ/documents/publication/wcms_173363.pdf. Accessed 20 December 2018.
- Serviço Florestal Brasileiro. 2016. SNIF. http://www.florestal.gov.br/documentos/publicacoes/2231-boletim-snif-recursos-florestais-2016/file. Accessed 20 December 2018 (in Portuguese).
- Slave Voyages. 2018. http://www.slavevoyages.org. Accessed 20 December 2018.
- Souza, J. 2017. A Elite do Atraso: da escravidão à lava jato. Rio de Janeiro: Leya.Google Scholar
- Spiegel, M. 1996. The dreaded comparison: Human and animal slavery. New York: Mirror Books.Google Scholar
- Trata Brasil. 2018. http://www.tratabrasil.org.br/saneamento/principais-estatisticas/no-brasil/esgoto. Accessed 20 December 2018 (in Portuguese).
- United Nations. 2018. The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. Report A/HRC/27/68/Add.1. https://www.ohchr.org/EN/Pages/Home.aspx. Accessed 20 December 2018.