Osteoporosis is the most common metabolic bone disease, and its clinical manifestations result from skeletal fractures. This disease poses a high risk of morbidity and mortality and represents a tremendous economic burden to society. The Dual Energy Absorptiometry Scan (DXA) is the gold standard for diagnosis, and the Fracture Risk Assessment Tool (FRAX) helps in deciding therapeutic interventions in those with osteopenia. The most important management strategy is fracture prevention and treating contributing factors. Both non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic therapies, including patient and provider education, are effective in decreasing the morbidity and mortality of osteoporosis.
KeywordsOsteoporosis Morbidity DEXA FRAX Bisphosphonates Fracture
- 4.National Osteoporosis Foundation. https://cdn.nof.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Osteoporosis-Fast-Facts.pdf.
- 5.Kostenuik PJ. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2005;5:618–25; Boyle WJ, et al. Nature. 2003;423:337–42; Kostenuik PJ, et al. Curr Pharm Des. 2001;7:613–35.Google Scholar
- 6.Feldkamp J, Becker A, Witte OW, Scharff D, Scherbaum WA. Long-term anticonvulsant therapy leads to low bone mineral density–evidence for direct drug effects of phenytoin and carbamazepine on human osteoblast-like cells. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2000;108(1):37–43. https://www.iofbonehealth.org/facts-and-statistics/calcium-studies-mapCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.5650040803.
- 14.Watts NB, Roux C, Modlin JF, Brown JP, Daniels A, Jackson S, Smith S, Zack DJ, Zhou L, Grauer A, Ferrari S. Infections in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis treated with denosumab or placebo: coincidence or causal association? Osteoporos Int. 2012;23(1):327–337. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-011-1755-2. Epub 2011 Sep 3.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Andrews EB, Gilsenan AW, Midkiff K, Sherrill B, Wu Y, Mann BH, Masica D. The US postmarketing surveillance study of adult osteosarcoma and teriparatide: study design and findings from the first 7 years. J Bone Miner Res. 2012;27(12):2429–37. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.1768.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar