The first unit gives an overview of current realities and issues regarding torture and the involvement of doctors, giving us a sense of the challenges facing the medical profession. In this chapter I focus on global torture. To grasp the range of abusive tactics found in countries around the world, I look at six cases. Each is a picture of brutality; together they testify to a moral failure in terms of human rights.
- Adams, Guy B. and Danny L. Balfour and George E. Reed. 2006, September–October. Abu Ghraib, Administrative Evil, and Moral Inversion: The Value of “Putting Cruelty First”. Public Administration Review 66 (5): 680–693. http://www.jstor.org/stable/3843897. Retrieved 10 June 2018.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- al-Jazeera. 2013, December 15. Tales of Torture: A Former Member of Chile’s National Intelligence Agency Describes Some of the Methods Used Against Political Prisoners. https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/aljazeeracorrespondent/2013/10/tales-torture-2013103081121394171.html. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- Amnesty International. 2016a, April. Philippines: Historic Ruling on Police Torture Following Amnesty International Campaign. https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/04/philippines-historic-ruling-on-police-torture-following-amnesty-international-campaign/. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- ———. 2016b, April. Uzbekistan: Fast Track to Torture. https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2016/04/uzbekistan-stop-torture/. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Arraf, Jane. 2013, July 15. The Scars of Abu Ghraib. al-Jazeera. https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/07/2013715113237109200.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Associated Press in Manila.2014, January 28. Philippines Police Played ‘Wheel of Torture’ Game to Extract Information. The Guardian (UK). https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/28/philippines-police-wheel-of-torture-game. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Casciani, Dominic. 2011, April 12. British Mau Mau Abuse Papers Revealed. BBC. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-13044974. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Conroy, John. 2007, March 2. Tony Lagouranis—Confessions of a Torturer. Chicago Reader. www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/torture. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Corcoran, Kieran. 2014, January 28. Philippine Police Officers ‘Used Wheel of Torture To Abuse Suspects’ With One Punishment Named After Boxer Manny Pacquiao. Daily Mail (UK). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2547702/Philippine-police-officers-used-wheel-torture-abuse-suspects-one-punishment-named-boxer-Manny-Pacquiao.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Grey, Stephen. 2006. Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Torture Program. New York: St. Martin’s Griffin.Google Scholar
- Hapal, Don Kevin. 2016, February 23. Worse Than Death: Torture Methods During Martial Law. Rappler. www.rappler.com. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- Harding, Luke. 2004, May 19. The Other Prisoners. The Guardian (UK). https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/may/20/iraq.gender. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- Hiatt, Fred. 2014, November 30. The Tyranny You Haven’t Heard of. The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/fred-hiatt-an-oppressive-central-asian-regime-hides-in-plain-sight/2014/11/30/eab84368-74d8-11e4-9d9b-86d397daad27_story.html?utm_term=.89ec885daf9e. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- International Partnership for Human Rights. 2015, September 23. Endemic Torture in Uzbekistan. http://iphronline.org/endemic-torture-in-uzbekistan20150923.html. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- Kennedy, R. 2007. (Producer and director). Ghosts of Abu Ghraib [motion picture].Google Scholar
- Kramer, Paul. 2008, February 25. The Water Cure. The New Yorker. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/02/25/the-water-cure. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Krever, Mick and Schams Elwazer. 2014, January 20. Gruesome Syria Photos May Prove Torture by Assad Regime. CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/20/world/syria-torture-photos-amanpour/index.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Learning History. 2017, May 14. Colonia Dignidad: Nazi Torture Camp. https://www.learning-history.com/colonia-dignidad. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- Leigh Day & Co. 2009, October 22. Veterans Present Evidence of Torture to British Government. Leigh Day (UK). https://www.leighday.co.uk/News/2009/October-2009/Mau-Mau-veterans-present-evidence-of-torture-to-Br. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Lifton, Robert Jay. 2004, October 7. Doctors and Torture. New England Journal of Medicine 351: 1571–1574. http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMp048065. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Loveluck, Louise and Zakaria Zakaria. 2017, April 2. The Hospitals Were Slaughterhouses: A Journey into Syria’s Secret Torture Wards. The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/the-hospitals-were-slaughterhouses-a-journey-intosyrias-secret-torture-wards/2017/04/02/90ccaa6e-0d61-11e7-b2bb-417e331877d9_story.html?utm_term=.3fe6828e0864. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- McKelvy, Tara. 2018. I Hated Myself for Abu Ghraib Abuse. BBC. https://www.bbc.com/news/44031774. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- Miles, Steven H. 2014, January 22. The New Accountability for Doctors Who Torture. Health and Human Rights Journal. https://www.hhrjournal.org/2014/01/the-new-accountability-for-doctors-who-torture/. Retrieved 5 June 2018.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Press Association. 2013, June 6. UK to Compensate Kenyans Mau Mau Torture Victims. The Guardian (UK). https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/06/uk-compensate-kenya-mau-mau-torture. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Sontag, Susan.2004, May 23. Regarding the Torture of Others. New York Times.Google Scholar
- Sturcke, James 2005, January 11. Abu Ghraib Inmates ‘Like Cheerleaders’. The Guardian (UK). https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/jan/11/iraq.usa. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- Taguba, Maj. Gen. Antonio M. 2004, May. Taguba Report: AR 15-6 Investigation of the 800th Military Police Brigade. https://fas.org/irp/agency/dod/taguba.pdf. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- ———. 2014, August 5. Stop the C.I.A. Spin on the Senate Torture Report. The New York Times. Google Scholar
- Teays, Wanda. 2008. Torture and Public Health. In International Public Health Policy and Ethics, ed. Michael Boylan. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- The New York Times. 2014, December 3. Amnesty Report Condemns Police Torture in Philippines. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/world/asia/report-condemns-police-torture-in-philippines.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.