Create by Doing – Action Sequencing in VR
In every virtual reality application, there are actions to perform, often in a logical order. This logical ordering can be a predefined sequence of actions, enriched with the representation of different possibilities, which we refer to as a scenario. Authoring such a scenario for virtual reality is still a difficult task, as it needs both the expertise from the domain expert and the developer. We propose to let the domain expert create in virtual reality the scenario by herself without coding, through the paradigm of creating by doing. The domain expert can run an application, record the sequence of actions as a scenario, and then reuse this scenario for other purposes, such as an automatic replay of the scenario by a virtual actor to check the obtained scenario, the injection of this scenario as a constraint or a guide for a trainee, or the monitoring of the scenario unfolding during a procedure.
- 1.Bailenson, J.N., Yee, N., Blascovich, J., Beall, A.C., Lundblad, N., Jin, M.: The use of immersive virtual reality in the learning sciences: digital transformations of teachers, students, and social context. J. Learn. Sci. 17(1), 102–141 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1080/10508400701793141CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Fletcher, J.D.: Does this stuff work? A review of technology used to teach. TechKnowlogia Jan–Mar, 10–14 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Klopfer, E., Perry, J., Squire, K., Jan, M.F., Steinkuehler, C.: Mystery at the museum: a collaborative game for museum education. In: Proceedings of the 2005 Conference on Computer Support for Collaborative Learning, pp. 316–320. International Society of the Learning Sciences (2005). http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1149293.1149334
- 6.Lee, G.A., Nelles, C., Billinghurst, M., Kim, G.J.: Immersive authoring of tangible augmented reality applications. In: Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, ISMAR 2004, pp. 172–181. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2004). https://doi.org/10.1109/ISMAR.2004.34
- 7.Paiva, A., Machado, I., Prada, R.: Heroes, villians, magicians, & dramatis personae in a virtual story creation environment. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, IUI 2001, pp. 129–136. ACM, New York (2001). https://doi.org/10.1145/359784.360314