ECG Surprise Attack!: Chest Pain and the “Forgotten Lead”
There are some ECG patterns that are not classically considered as ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarctions (STEMIs) but represent what can be called STEMI equivalents as they portend significant potential for progression to infarctions. Though not recognized by many practitioners as an example of STEMI, the diagnostic utility of ST-segment-elevation (STE) in augmented Vector Right (aVR) has been recognized by various guiding international organizations. STE in aVR has proven association to multivessel coronary disease (MVD) and occlusions of the left main coronary artery (LMCA) and proximal left anterior descending (LAD) coronary artery.
KeywordsST elevation aVR STEMI equivalent Chest pain Left main coronary artery disease
The authors of this chapter report no significant disclosures.
- 5.Engelen DJ, Gorgels AP, Cheriex EC, et al. Value of the electrocardiogram in localizing the occlusion site in the left anterior descending coronary artery in acute anterior myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999;34(2):389–95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0735-1097(99)00197-7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Yamaji H, Iwasaki K, Kusachi S, et al. Prediction of acute left main coronary artery obstruction by 12-lead electrocardiography: ST segment elevation in lead aVR with less ST segment elevation in lead V1. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;38(5):1348–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0735-1097(01)01563-7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Barrabés JA, Figueras J, Moure C, Cortadellas J, Soler-Soler J. Prognostic value of lead aVR in patients with a first non-ST-segment elevation acute myocardial infarction. Circulation. 2003;108(7):814–9. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000084553.92734.83.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Wagner GS, Macfarlane P, Wellens H, et al. AHA/ACCF/HRS recommendations for the standardization and interpretation of the electrocardiogram: part VI: acute ischemia/infarction: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Electrocardiography and Arrhythmias Committee, Council on Clinical Cardiology; the American College of Cardiology Foundation; and the Heart Rhythm Society: endorsed by the International Society for Computerized Electrocardiology. Circulation. 2009;119(10):e262–70. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.191098.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Nikus K, Pahlm O, Wagner G, et al. Electrocardiographic classification of acute coronary syndromes: a review by a committee of the International Society for Holter and Non-Invasive Electrocardiology. J Electrocardiol. 2010;43(2):91–103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelectrocard.2009.07.009.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Gibbons RJ, Balady GJ, Bricker JT, et al. ACC/AHA 2002 guideline update for exercise testing: summary article. A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines (committee to update the 1997 exercise testing guidelines). Circulation. 2002;106(14):1883–92. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000034670.06526.15.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Amsterdam EA, Wenger NK, Brindis RG, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with non–ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;64(24):e139–228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2014.09.017CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Hillis LD, Smith PK, Anderson JL, et al. 2011 ACCF/AHA guideline for coronary artery bypass graft surgery: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines. Circulation. 2011;124:e652–735. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0b013e31823c074e.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.O’Gara PT, Kushner FG, Ascheim DD, et al. 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of st-elevation myocardial infarction: a report of the American college of cardiology foundation/american heart association task force on practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61(4):78–140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2012.11.019.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Jones HU, Muhlestein JB, Jones KW, et al. Preoperative use of enoxaparin compared with unfractionated heparin increases the incidence of re-exploration for postoperative bleeding after open-heart surgery in patients who present with an acute coronary syndrome: clinical investigation and reports. Circulation. 2002;106(12 Suppl 1):I19–22. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.0000032917.33237.e0.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Rezaie S, Mattu A. Is ST-segment elevation in lead aVR getting too much respect? with Amal Mattu. R.E.B.E.L. EM. http://rebelem.com/is-st-segment-elevation-in-lead-avr-getting-too-much-respect-with-amal-mattu/. Published 2016.
- 20.Zafari AM. Myocardial infarction: practice essentials, background, definitions. Emedicine.medscape.com. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/155919-overview. Published 2018. Accessed June 24, 2018.
- 23.Patel MR, Calhoon JH, Dehmer GJ, et al. ACC/AATS/AHA/ASE/ASNC/SCAI/SCCT/STS 2016 appropriate use criteria for coronary revascularization in patients with acute coronary syndromes: a report of the American College of Cardiology Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force, American Association for Thoracic Surgery, American Heart Association, American Society of Echocardiography, American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69(5):570–91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2016.10.034.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.Pride YB, Tung P, Mohanavelu S, et al. Angiographic and clinical outcomes among patients with acute coronary syndromes presenting with isolated anterior ST-segment depression: a TRITON-TIMI 38 (trial to assess improvement in therapeutic outcomes by optimizing platelet inhibition with prasugrel-thrombolysis in myocardial infarction 38) substudy. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2010;3(8):806–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2010.05.012.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Wilner B, de Lemos JA, Neeland I. LBBB in patients with suspected MI: an evolving paradigm. Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;(Mi). http://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2017/02/28/14/10/lbbb-in-patients-with-suspected-mi.