Other Cystic Lesions of the Pancreas
Pancreatic cyst lesions encompass a wide variety of entities ranging from nonneoplastic to neoplastic lesions with cystic degeneration. The cysts can show significant overlap in terms of imaging findings as well as clinical features. Cytology along with cyst fluid analysis plays a pivotal role in the preoperative characterization of these lesions. However, some lesions, especially the uncommon ones, may not be diagnosed accurately resulting in unnecessary surgery. This chapter will discuss the various aspects of pancreatic cystic lesions (other than the neoplastic mucinous cysts) including the clinical features, imaging findings, pathologic features, molecular genetics, and management.
KeywordsCystic lesions Pancreas Pancreatic cysts Serous cystadenoma (SCA) Pseudocyst Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
- 1.Terris B, Fukushima N, Hruban RH. Serous neoplasms of the pancreas. In: Bosman FT, Carneiro F, Hruban RH, Theise ND, editors. WHO classification of tumors of the diagestive system. 4th ed. Lyon: IARC; 2010. p. 296–9.Google Scholar
- 11.Kloppel G, Hruban RH, Klimstra DS, Maitra A, Morohoshi T, Notohara, et al. Solid pseudopapillary neoplasm of the pancreas. In: Bosman FT, Carneiro F, Hruban RH, Theise ND, editors. WHO classification of tumors of the digestive system. 4th ed. Lyon: IARC; 2010. p. 327–30.Google Scholar
- 14.Burford H, Baloch Z, Liu X, Jhala D, Siegal GP, Jhala N. E-cadherin/beta-catenin and CD10: a limited immunohistochemical panel to distinguish pancreatic endocrine neoplasm from solid pseudopapillary neoplasm of the pancreas on endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspirates of the pancreas. Am J Clin Pathol. 2009;132:831–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Ridtitid W, Halawi H, DeWitt JM, Sherman S, LeBlanc J, McHenry L, et al. Cystic pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: outcomes of preoperative endosonography-guided fine needle aspiration, and recurrence during long-term follow-up. Endoscopy. 2015;47:617–25. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0034–1391712.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Singhi AD, Norwood S, Liu TC, Sharma R, Wolfgang CL, Schulick RD, et al. Acinar cell cystadenoma of the pancreas: a benign neoplasm or non-neoplastic ballooning of acinar and ductal epithelium? Am J Surg Pathol. 2013;37:1329–35. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0b013e3182a1ad72.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar