Mucinous Cystic Neoplasms
Mucinous cystic neoplasms (MCNs) are uncommon neoplasms of the pancreas that are characterized by a distinctive-type ovarian stroma. They tend to occur in the distal pancreas in middle-aged women. The majority of MCNs are slow growing with the prevalence of invasive carcinoma ranging from 3.9% to 34.4%. The preoperative diagnosis of MCNs is based on a multimodal approach comprising clinical features, tumor markers, imaging findings, endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) with fine needle aspiration, and cyst fluid analysis. As per the 2012 Fukuoka consensus guidelines, surgical resection is recommended for all surgically fit patients with MCNs. Although surgical resection has been the traditional management for MCNs, conservative management options are being increasingly explored. This chapter will discuss various aspects of MCNs including the clinical features, imaging findings, pathologic features, molecular genetics, and treatment and prognosis.
KeywordsMucinous cystic neoplasm Pancreatic cyst Neoplastic mucinous cyst Endoscopic ultrasound
- 4.Ishida K, Sasano H, Moriya T, Takahashi Y, Sugimoto R, Mue Y, et al. Immunohistochemical analysis of steroidogenic enzymes in ovarian-type stroma of pancreatic mucinous cystic neoplasms: comparative study of subepithelial stromal cells in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas. Pathol Int. 2016;66:281–7. https://doi.org/10.1111/pin.12406.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Garces-Descovich A, Beker K, Castillo-Angeles M, Brook A, Resnick E, Shinagare S, et al. Mucinous cystic neoplasms of the pancreas: high-resolution cross-sectional imaging features with clinico-pathologic correlation. Abdom Radiol (NY). 2018;43:1413–22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00261–017–1326-x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Albores-Saavedra J, Manivel C, Dorantes-Heredia R, Chablé-Montero F, Godoy-Valdés C, Chan-Nuñez C, et al. Nonmucinous cystadenomas of the pancreas with pancreatobiliary phenotype and ovarian-like stroma. Am J Clin Pathol. 2013;139:599–604. https://doi.org/10.1309/AJCPHSV7TV2WOJFE.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Zamboni G, Fukushima N, Hruban RH, Klöppel G. Mucinous cystic neoplasms of the pancreas. In: Bosman FT, Carneiro F, Hruban RH, Theise ND, editors. WHO classification of tumors of the diagestive system. 4th ed. Lyon: IARC; 2010. p. 300–3.Google Scholar
- 19.Wu J, Jiao Y, Dal Molin M, Maitra A, de Wilde RF, Wood LD, et al. Whole-exome sequencing of neoplastic cysts of the pancreas reveals recurrent mutations in components of ubiquitin-dependent pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:21188–93. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1118046108.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar