The Effect of Internet Celebrity’s Endorsement on Consumer Purchase Intention
This study investigated the interactive endorsement effect of internet celebrities on the brand attitude, attitude toward advertising and purchase intention. A total of 466 valid questionnaires were collected to test the research model. The research results show that the source credibility and the sense of virtual community are positively related to the brand attitude and attitude toward advertising, which in turn affect the purchase intention. However, the effect of the content quality is not significant. In addition, the moderating effect of the degree of consumer expertise and involvement are not significant. According to the result of this study, the characters of an Internet celebrity is a paramount factor to an endorsement campaign.
KeywordsInternet celebrity Endorsement ELM model
This work was supported in part by the Ministry of Science and Technology of the Republic of China under the grant MOST 103-2410-H-030-087-MY3.
- Hsieh, P.S., Ou, J., Xu, J.: Will you “tip” celebrated streamers? Sense of virtual community and the moderating role of subjective happiness. Paper presented at the 51st Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Hawaii, USA (2018)Google Scholar
- Bauer, R.A.: Consumer behavior as risk taking. Paper presented at the 43rd National Conference of the American Marketing Association, Chicago, Illinois (1960)Google Scholar
- Eagly, A.H., Chaiken, S.: The Psychology of Attitudes. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich College Publishers, New York (1993)Google Scholar
- Freiden, J.B.: Advertising spokesperson effects - An examination of endorser type and gender on 2 audiences. J. Advertising Res. 24(5), 33–41 (1984)Google Scholar
- Friedman, H.H., Friedman, L.: Endorser effectiveness by product type. J. Advertising Res. 19(5), 63–71 (1979)Google Scholar
- Hair, J.F., Anderson, R., Tatham, R., Black, W.: Multivariate Data Analysis, 6th edn. Pearson Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2006)Google Scholar
- Ohanian, R.: The impact of celebrity spokespersons’ perceived image on consumers’ intention to purchase. J. Advertising Res. 31(1), 46–54 (1991)Google Scholar
- Petty, R.E., Cacioppo, J.T.: Attitudes and Persuasion: Classic and Contemporary Approaches. WC Brown Co., Dubuque (1981)Google Scholar
- Tsoi, G.: Wang Hong: China’s online stars making real cash, 1 August 2016. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36802769. Accessed 1 Feb 2019
- Xu, K.: What is “Internet Celebrity Economy” in China, Target China, 28 April 2017. http://targetchina.com.au/article/internet-celebrity/. Accessed 1 Feb 2019